Naruto Discussion Forum

Naruto Discussion Forum (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/index.php)
-   Forum Feedback & Issues (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Feedback: Posts Suggestion (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/showthread.php?t=116738)

Jonesy 07-11-2012 05:59 AM

Posts Suggestion
 
If you ask me, posts should count in every section. I don't see why not. I notice that a lot of new members who join the site, are confused as to why posts don't count in certain sections, so they leave because of boredom. They don't see the point in discussing stuff with other members, when their post count doesn't go up. Yes, everyone joins this website because of Naruto, but they like to discuss other things too. The debate section is used to debate (duh), your funny members like to post in Off-Topic, but what do they get for keeping this forum active? Nothing. If you go to other Naruto forums, you'll notice posts count in all of their sections, and their sites are very active.

Some of you are probably thinking, "Who cares about post count?" Well, a lot of people, including myself, do. It's fun. It feels good to be able to look at your profile, and see such a high number.

Making posts count in every section, would spread around the activity of the forum to other sections. Not everyone would be in Character Talk farming; they would be in Off-Topic or the Chats section, talking--having fun. I honestly don't see the harm in having posts count in every section. It would help the forum, more than hurt it.

That's just my opinion though, and I hope maybe you'll consider allowing posts to count everywhere. Thanks for reading.

megabbaut 07-11-2012 06:02 AM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Posts don't count in certain sections because those sections do little purpose in keeping the forum alive. if you were playing a forum game, for example, you'd get requirements for avatars, views of signatures, etc.

Shikamaru Nara 07-11-2012 06:05 AM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by megabbaut (Post 6137070)
Posts don't count in certain sections because those sections do little purpose in keeping the forum alive. if you were playing a forum game, for example, you'd get requirements for avatars, views of signatures, etc.

You realize that Chats and Clubs and Off Topic are the most active sections, right? -__-

As for the OP, I agree. Especially in the Debate Forum. More constructive conversation goes on in there than in Character Talk. I know the intention is to keep the site mostly Naruto, but just because posts count in all sections doesn't mean that people will stop talking about Naruto.

You got people who just visit the BGs, the TBS, etc, etc. anyway.

Nick Tasogare 07-11-2012 06:06 AM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Well that escalated quickly.

Personally, I don't think it matters either way. I'll admit Jonesy does have a pretty decent point though, especially since to PM non-staff and view images and other things like that, users need a certain amount of posts.

Fliparrachii 07-11-2012 09:14 AM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara (Post 6137074)
I know the intention is to keep the site mostly Naruto, but just because posts count in all sections doesn't mean that people will stop talking about Naruto.

I doubt that.

Besides, would it be a surprise if they increased the requirements for post if it went through?

I dont think it really matters tho.

Kyūbi no Yōko 07-11-2012 09:19 AM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
You can spam too much in Off-Topic for stuff that aren't too important.

Shikamaru Nara 07-11-2012 09:27 AM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAFL (Post 6137266)
I doubt that.

Besides, would it be a surprise if they increased the requirements for post if it went through?

I dont think it really matters tho.

I don't. Most people that come here to talk about Naruto come here to do just that and only that. You don't see Kalmeast for example venturing out of the Town Bookstore. Ever.

Hell, he didn't even know that he was MotM for a week or so, from what I heard. :lol: Anyone who posts in a section won't stop because posts count everywhere, that's just a lame excuse to shoot it down.

Not really. But who cares if they make the requirements higher? It's not about special post-count related qualifications. Read the OP again.

Quote:

It's fun.
Quote:

Not everyone would be in Character Talk farming; they would be in Off-Topic or the Chats section, talking--having fun.
I don't see the harm in enabling post counts for all of the sections. It works just fine on other forums. And most people only post in Off-Topic to begin with, anyway, barely venturing into other sections, so I don't see that being any more of a problem that it already is.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyūbi no Yōko (Post 6137279)
You can spam too much in Off-Topic for stuff that aren't too important.

I knew someone would say this.

We already have an infraction system in place. All we need to do is use it. If someone isn't editing their posts with new ideas or are posting more than once and the occasional double post, then we can hand out some red and yellow cards. We do it for post-counting sections already anyway.

I don't see it being that big of a problem.

If you want my personal opinion, the goods outweigh the bads.

Fliparrachii 07-11-2012 09:31 AM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
So now it's possible to infract in the Off Topic for spamming?

Most? I know quite a lot of users who dont even discuss about Naruto nor even watch/read the series anymore.

Shikamaru Nara 07-11-2012 09:32 AM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Not unless posts count there. But where there's room to abuse a system, there will always be one who abuses it. Currently we don't infract for spam in off topic, but people will exploit the post counts there so we may have to.

Anyway, most staff don't even really care about spamming though, so that might not even be the case. (Although it personally bothers me, but most of the times I just delete the posts in question instead of infracting.)

EDIT: See Back-End Discussions in Viz Labs in a few minutes, I've already found a solution.

Fliparrachii 07-11-2012 09:37 AM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara (Post 6137308)
Not unless posts count there. But where there's room to abuse a system, there will always be one who abuses it. Currently we don't infract for spam in off topic, but people will exploit the post counts there so we may have to.

Anyway, most staff don't even really care about spamming though, so that might not even be the case. (Although it personally bothers me, but most of the times I just delete the posts in question instead of infracting.)

But that's what this thread is aiming for. Everywhere. That includes off topic. That includes the Chats and Clubs. Posts counting there is awkward. Giving out spamming infractions there are awkward. The Debate Forum, I can agree with.

Oh really?

Shikamaru Nara 07-11-2012 09:46 AM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
So how is it logical to makes posts count in Fanfics and not have posts count in Debate Forum. Also, check the thread in Back End. Maybe it would change your mind.

More often than not. :lol:

SRhyse 07-11-2012 01:09 PM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
In a nutshell, sure.

I'd been talking about this with others for a while before it got brought up again on the forum, but since I'm adding in various progression, tracking and incentive mechanisms on the site, like Achievements, Awards, Experience Gauges, Shops, what-have-you, I'm fine with letting posts count everywhere, as I can more specifically tailor the other awards to be more fine tuned.

As for where posts do and don't count at the moment, that's partly the hold over from the original decision, and that no one cared enough to make most new forums NOT count towards post count.

So if anyone wants to flip the switch on it, it's fine by me, make 'em count everywhere :D. I reserve the right to retract that in service to tweaking the other features, but I don't imagine I'll have to.

Thanks!

J-Sun Tasogare 07-11-2012 01:18 PM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
I don't think it's worth it. If we do this then might as well throw infractions for spam right out the window, as staying on topic in an off-topic thread is really useless, double and triple posting are very common in those areas and people that don't realize their posts count in Off Topic now will likely get in trouble for that reason. I see no point in letting those posts count when you can easily accumulate enough posts in the "would you _ to the character above you" threads in about a minute or two. Not very many new members even go directly to Off Topic or chats and role plays, many go to Town book-store or the video game sections. Post count is useless once you get your post number past 50 which is easy enough if the person is active.

Muffintop 07-11-2012 01:31 PM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Sun Tasogare (Post 6137800)
I don't think it's worth it. If we do this then might as well throw infractions for spam right out the window, as staying on topic in an off-topic thread is really useless, double and triple posting are very common in those areas and people that don't realize their posts count in Off Topic now will likely get in trouble for that reason. I see no point in letting those posts count when you can easily accumulate enough posts in the "would you _ to the character above you" threads in about a minute or two. Not very many new members even go directly to Off Topic or chats and role plays, many go to Town book-store or the video game sections. Post count is useless once you get your post number past 50 which is easy enough if the person is active.

It'll only mean that people cannot post multiple times in a row in any section. This is one of the many reasons we recruited so many new mods and FAIL.

Bacon 07-11-2012 01:33 PM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Sun Tasogare (Post 6137800)
I don't think it's worth it. If we do this then might as well throw infractions for spam right out the window, as staying on topic in an off-topic thread is really useless, double and triple posting are very common in those areas and people that don't realize their posts count in Off Topic now will likely get in trouble for that reason. I see no point in letting those posts count when you can easily accumulate enough posts in the "would you _ to the character above you" threads in about a minute or two. Not very many new members even go directly to Off Topic or chats and role plays, many go to Town book-store or the video game sections. Post count is useless once you get your post number past 50 which is easy enough if the person is active.

Post count serves no purpose, other than an indirect incentive to stay active. It's not important,but if we are going so far as to stay with bare essentials, there are much more drastic changes which could be made. A few gaming community sites I read for the lulz don't allow avatars, signatures, or even post history. So if we are talking about practicality, then there's no reason to not allow posts to count everywhere if it makes people happy.

As for spam, i'm pretty even character above you threads can be infracted for double posting. If off topic suddenly counted, its standards would change slightly. Meaning there would be infractions for not using the edit button just like everywhere else.

J-Sun Tasogare 07-11-2012 01:48 PM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bacon (Post 6137841)
Post count serves no purpose, other than an indirect incentive to stay active. It's not important,but if we are going so far as to stay with bare essentials, there are much more drastic changes which could be made. A few gaming community sites I read for the lulz don't allow avatars, signatures, or even post history. So if we are talking about practicality, then there's no reason to not allow posts to count everywhere if it makes people happy.

As for spam, i'm pretty even character above you threads can be infracted for double posting. If off topic suddenly counted, its standards would change slightly. Meaning there would be infractions for not using the edit button just like everywhere else.

Actually there is, its easier to moderate, and gives incentives to people to keep the other areas of the forum active rather than just have Off Topic and the Role-Plays sections be the only ones with activities. Plus I don't think it's fair that if someone spends all their time in TB, Bgs, or other areas of the forum that contribute more than lolz should have less of a post count than someone who just stays in off topic and goes into everything going "lol funny".

Of course they can I never said they couldn't. It's not an issue of double/triple posting that can be fixed with some effort (granted it'd be a lot harder to keep track of with the hundreds of posts added), but it's more of an issue of topic to topic. If a thread is talking about your favorite food, and someone comes in the thread and says "Oh [insert username here] PM me" would that be considered spam or not? Since Off-Topic is off-topic I don't see why someone should be infracted because they forgot their posts count and just wanted to tell someone to PM them. If people are in off-topic most of the time they probably don't care about their post count, and you're adding the risk of getting in trouble because they're not staying on topic in an off-topic thread.

Ex: Starting random convo about TV show in thread about Pillow Pets
That's allowed now but with post count going up that would be frowned upon. Thus the users that don't care about their posts have to suffer cause they aren't allowed to say what they want in an area that is supposed to allow you to post as you please.

Bacon 07-11-2012 02:21 PM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Quote:

Actually there is, its easier to moderate, and gives incentives to people to keep the other areas of the forum active rather than just have Off Topic and the Role-Plays sections be the only ones with activities. Plus I don't think it's fair that if someone spends all their time in TB, Bgs, or other areas of the forum that contribute more than lolz should have less of a post count than someone who just stays in off topic and goes into everything going "lol funny".
This reminds me of Jct so much. The definition of contribute is up to interpretation and I hardly doubt everyone who posts in the book store or the battlegrounds, do it to contribute. They post there because they enjoy naruto or debating fictional characters,but I think the battlegrounds being a positive influence on the forum is a bit far fetched due to its history.

Quote:

Of course they can I never said they couldn't. It's not an issue of double/triple posting that can be fixed with some effort (granted it'd be a lot harder to keep track of with the hundreds of posts added), but it's more of an issue of topic to topic. If a thread is talking about your favorite food, and someone comes in the thread and says "Oh [insert username here] PM me" would that be considered spam or not? Since Off-Topic is off-topic I don't see why someone should be infracted because they forgot their posts count and just wanted to tell someone to PM them. If people are in off-topic most of the time they probably don't care about their post count, and you're adding the risk of getting in trouble because they're not staying on topic in an off-topic thread.
If we want to get technical about spam, it would be both my pleasure and displeasure to go through the forum and warn/infract the many posts which go unpunished. There are times when someone literally says, "this" in topic to show they agree. Or if something is unclear in a section which counts, three or four people may say something like" I don't understand or who is this"? You only need one person to ask for clarification and if you can't provide a reason for agreeing, it's just post farming.

Quote:

Ex: Starting random convo about TV show in thread about Pillow Pets
That's allowed now but with post count going up that would be frowned upon. Thus the users that don't care about their posts have to suffer cause they aren't allowed to say what they want in an area that is supposed to allow you to post as you please.
This is something which would change if posts counted elsewhere. I know the way things work now are comfortable,but if something like this occured; there would be some changes such as not caring if someone posts offtopic in an offtopic thread, where posts count.

Though I don't know why character above you threads count. They serve even less of a purpose than offtopic where there are funny and sometime interesting conversations. Honestly I don't really care if posts count or not, I just felt compelled to put my two cents on some things I didn't agree on.

Jonesy 07-11-2012 03:20 PM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SRhyse (Post 6137766)
In a nutshell, sure.

I'd been talking about this with others for a while before it got brought up again on the forum, but since I'm adding in various progression, tracking and incentive mechanisms on the site, like Achievements, Awards, Experience Gauges, Shops, what-have-you, I'm fine with letting posts count everywhere, as I can more specifically tailor the other awards to be more fine tuned.

As for where posts do and don't count at the moment, that's partly the hold over from the original decision, and that no one cared enough to make most new forums NOT count towards post count.

So if anyone wants to flip the switch on it, it's fine by me, make 'em count everywhere :D. I reserve the right to retract that in service to tweaking the other features, but I don't imagine I'll have to.

Thanks!

Thank you, SRhyse. :)

Shikamaru Nara 07-11-2012 05:15 PM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
Yesssssssssss. Thanks Rice.

Maruko 07-22-2012 03:08 AM

Re: Posts Suggestion
 
OT posts now count! Cool! :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.