Naruto Discussion Forum

Naruto Discussion Forum (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/index.php)
-   Forum Feedback & Issues (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Feedback: MotM Sparkles? (http://forum.naruto.viz.com/showthread.php?t=112637)

Shikamaru Nara 03-10-2012 08:25 AM

MotM Sparkles?

So hey this is pretty cool I just remembered that you can give users sparkly usernames. I have the path for you guys. I'm sure you know how to input it so here it is. You should do this for the MotM and maybe admins.

So go to Usergroup Manager > MotM or Member of the Month, whichever it is > and then edit the Username HTML markup.

Front: <span style="background: url(images/4.gif); color:purple; font-weight: bold;">

Back: </span>

Purple was the example in this one, but that's interchangeable for any color.

Anyway tell me what you guys think. It should come out like so:

Only difference from the pic is that it will be in motion.

Sajuuk 03-10-2012 10:01 AM

Re: MotM Sparkles?

Sparkle effects don't work in Internet Explorer, and they are extremely annoying. They add nothing at all to a user's experience imo.

Shikamaru Nara 03-10-2012 10:22 AM

Most people don't use that anymore dude. xD

And they look pretty.

Sajuuk 03-10-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara (Post 5932349)
Most people don't use that anymore dude. xD

Even so, I'm sure there are still people who use it so it's best not to break the forums for those people who use it ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara (Post 5932349)
And they look pretty.

They might look pretty, but I find them very annoying and distracting when I'm trying to read a post.

Hopefully, an admin will chip in to give their thoughts on this :p

Shikamaru Nara 03-10-2012 10:36 AM

Gimme a sec. Let me test your theory that it will break the forums. Perhaps, perhaps...:lol: Works on the forum that I have. >_> Just made it a little slower. If it's only one user it doesn't even make a difference to begin with anyway.

Simple solution would be to just put your finger over it for five minutes or tape a piece of paper over it.

Shikamaru Nara 03-10-2012 10:40 AM

You have to have access to the ACP.

Ashen 03-10-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara (Post 5932221)
So hey this is pretty cool I just remembered that you can give users sparkly usernames. I have the path for you guys. I'm sure you know how to input it so here it is. You should do this for the MotM and maybe admins.

So go to Usergroup Manager > MotM or Member of the Month, whichever it is > and then edit the Username HTML markup.

Front: <span style="background: url(images/4.gif); color:purple; font-weight: bold;">

Back: </span>

Purple was the example in this one, but that's interchangeable for any color.

Anyway tell me what you guys think. It should come out like so:

Only difference from the pic is that it will be in motion.

We've done this before back when MotM first started and midway through the first month JAFL's username broke because of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kazekage (Post 5932306)
Sparkle effects don't work in Internet Explorer, and they are extremely annoying. They add nothing at all to a user's experience imo.

They don't? I got them to work fine just now and it displayed fine on IE, FF, and GC.

It's possible that the bad past experiences were caused by the fact that the sparkle's that people tried to use weren't stored locally on Viz server, so if anything would cause the hosting site to crash it would lag and ruin the sparkle.

Sajuuk 03-10-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshenREAPER (Post 5932469)
They don't? I got them to work fine just now and it displayed fine on IE, FF, and GC.

From what I remember, IE didn't work with the sparkle effects properly. They might've fixed that though in a newer version, I definitely remember an older version not rendering a sparkle effect properly.

Shikamaru Nara 03-10-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshenREAPER (Post 5932469)
We've done this before back when MotM first started and midway through the first month JAFL's username broke because of it.

It's possible that the bad past experiences were caused by the fact that the sparkle's that people tried to use weren't stored locally on Viz server, so if anything would cause the hosting site to crash it would lag and ruin the sparkle.

Wow I totally forgot.

Well if you want to try it on a smaller scale you can also try it in custom titles and see if that works.

Ashen 03-10-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Kazekage (Post 5932584)
From what I remember, IE didn't work with the sparkle effects properly. They might've fixed that though in a newer version, I definitely remember an older version not rendering a sparkle effect properly.

I've never noticed IE have problems with .gif images which is all Shika's sparkle text would be. Of course, I'm not an avid user of IE either.

Sajuuk 03-10-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshenREAPER (Post 5932631)
I've never noticed IE have problems with .gif images which is all Shika's sparkle text would be. Of course, I'm not an avid user of IE either.

http://goo.gl/E1PLJ

Just performed a search for IE not animating gif images, lots of results get returned for it. I don't think it's a good idea to use animated gif images as they don't display very well in IE and the forums should support all browsers so that they cater for everyone imo.

Jonesy 03-10-2012 01:32 PM

I like your idea, man.

I have IE on my laptop, and it works fine with gifs... But maybe that's just me.

Shikamaru Nara 03-10-2012 01:33 PM

Why?

At this point, almost everyone has a smartphone, or a Mac, or an iPod. Browsing forums is barely ever done on IE anymore. If we catered to everyone's needs we would be in so much work at the time.

Why don't we just give custom avatars?
Why don't we give people the ability to set their custom titles?
Hell, why don't we remove rules so people don't get in trouble?

Aside from that, we're not a business, and we're not a service, this is only an alternate means of entertainment. Just like before when the site was only available to people (streaming anime that is) in the US or something, we can't cater to everyone's needs.

Just my opinion though.
You try too hard to please everyone. xD

Thanks Jonesy. :D

Kakashi Hatake_Yamato 03-10-2012 03:10 PM

I use IE and the sparkles work jst fine
i gotz a sparkly username on another forum

and of course shika would ask for it..he wants to feel even more pretty
ahahah~!

Shikamaru Nara 03-10-2012 03:11 PM

I'm not motm.

Thebattlemonster 03-10-2012 03:13 PM

A quick question... who picks the MotM .?/

Kakashi Hatake_Yamato 03-10-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikamaru Nara (Post 5932908)
I'm not motm.

i know..just saying.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebattlemonster (Post 5932915)
A quick question... who picks the MotM .?/

i think there is some member called the motmnomibot or something like that.
u have to be nominated and go through some voting to be motm

Thebattlemonster 03-10-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

i think there is some member called the motmnomibot or something like that.
u have to be nominated and go through some voting to be motm

wow so all my hopes are beggining to go down because i wanted to be the motm not yet obv cuz i joined today but you know i prob have to wait and keep comin here like for around 7 -10 months or a year... you know what i meanb#(`:shock::geek:

Thebattlemonster 03-10-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebattlemonster (Post 5932933)
wow so all my hopes are beggining to go down because i wanted to be the motm not yet obv cuz i joined today but you know i prob have to wait and keep comin here like for around 7 -10 months or a year... you know what i meanb#(`:shock::geek:

epic quoting fail

Kakashi Hatake_Yamato 03-10-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebattlemonster (Post 5932933)

ya..it is not easy becoming motm
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebattlemonster (Post 5932940)
epic quoting fail

ahhaah

o and try not to double post