PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: Anti "Post-Farming" Measures.

Toma RNK
04-12-2009, 10:23 PM
With the introduction of a rank system people will likely start posting just to increase post count.

I feel some measures should be taken to disuade this practice without ruining the fun of the forums. adly I donot have any perfect answers so thought I would open up a discussion on it. I will start by posting some basic ideas and the debate will begin. I am sure most people will not like me for this thread but I think the discussion should be had.

Suggestions:

Auto pruning of the off topic or forum games forums.
Reasoning: The off topic and forum game forums are for the short term entertainment of bored forum members. Occasionally quality content exists on them but for the most part is is for killing time. Posts in these areas while keeping us members around do not contribute to the naruto discussion, knowledge, or fandom except to keep people logged in. Pruning topics inactive for 30 days allows plenty of time for the dialogue to stop and the game to conclude, but keeps post counts reflecting meaningful contributions.

Manual pruning of "two man" threads.
Reasoning: Unless two people are debaiting something using "naruto facts" or are debating a forum improvement, chances are the thread is just a conversation between 2 people. In these instances PM's would suffice as it is not really a forum topic.

Please do not flame me, I am aiming to start a discussion, not a debate or flamewar. If a debate happens because of good points on both sides, keep things civil.

zerosameri
04-12-2009, 10:49 PM
well do you do posting to kill time. if so you are not fallowing on what you are posting. and you have to completly honest too. and if you are not what is the point to this post you posted. so think long and hard. if you happend to do some kill time posting you should say i have done some kill time posting or end this form.i mean you do not have to do just that. but just to say if you have don kill time posting say something. i have don some kill time posting like here is one i did. what if deidara and ino was the other gender and here is one more i did.***spoiler,spoiler***good ture info naruto shippuden... so just to say if you have don some kill time posting. say or do something about that. but think long and hard if you have don kill time posting... but you have to be honest too. soooo. there will be no piont to this if you do not stand by on what you say or do.but this is a good thing you are doing. so imbrace it.

Toma RNK
04-12-2009, 10:57 PM
well do you do posting to kill time. if so you are not fallowing on what you are posting. and you have to completly honest too. and if you are not what is the point to this post you posted. so think long and hard. if you happend to do some kill time posting you should say i have done some kill time posting or end this form.i mean you do not have to do just that. but just to say if you have don kill time posting say something. i have don some kill time posting like here is one i did. what if deidara and ino was the other gender and here is one more i did.***spoiler,spoiler***good ture info naruto shippuden... so just to say if you have don some kill time posting. say or do something about that. but think long and hard if you have don kill time posting... but you have to be honest too. soooo. there will be no piont to this if you do not stand by on what you say or do.but this is a good thing you are doing. so imbrace it.

The "just to kill time" posting you are talking about is slightly different from what I am talking about. The naruto related stuff is thinking about the characters from the series and making others think, and in the end is making us all like naruto a little more. Those posts would not be pruned.

I am talking about is things like the forum games section and the off topic section, which have more posts combined than the rest of the forum TWICE over. Most posts in these sections are people hanging out with each other or posting in forum games which are usually fun, simple, and repetitious.

I had some trouble understand exactly what you were getting at though and I am also unsure what I should think long and hard about. I post in the off topic area a lot and would lose quite a few posts too.

I am offering these suggestions in hopes of making the Rank system work and encourage quality posting.

If I misunderstood something please clarify it. Thanks.

zerosameri
04-12-2009, 11:36 PM

The "just to kill time" posting you are talking about is slightly different from what I am talking about. The naruto related stuff is thinking about the characters from the series and making others think, and in the end is making us all like naruto a little more. Those posts would not be pruned.

I am talking about is things like the forum games section and the off topic section, which have more posts combined than the rest of the forum TWICE over. Most posts in these sections are people hanging out with each other or posting in forum games which are usually fun, simple, and repetitious.

I had some trouble understand exactly what you were getting at though and I am also unsure what I should think long and hard about. I post in the off topic area a lot and would lose quite a few posts too.

I am offering these suggestions in hopes of making the Rank system work and encourage quality posting.

If I misunderstood something please clarify it. Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sorry. i was doing something ells and i miss typed in the wrong thing that was going to go to an e-mail of one of my about a game and so i am very very sorry about this. so please frogive me. please please forgive me see alof that , that i just typed was a miss typ thing.

Toma RNK
04-12-2009, 11:38 PM
oh... ok!

No harm done, I was just really confused. :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up.

zerosameri
04-13-2009, 05:47 PM
ok. and once again i am very sorry

Sage Mode
04-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi tomarnk,

I think we all agree with you regarding the fear of post-farming. I don't know if auto-pruning whole forums will be the answer. What if we mods moved topics that fit your above criteria into an "Auto-Pruning zone"? A forum specifically designed to house topics that go there to die. We can call it the Slaughterhouse 8-) Or maybe Florida...

Well that's one idea. Is there a way to make certain forums not contribute towards your post count? Specifically I'm thinking about Forum Games. Because I agree that none of that should up your post count, but I don't like the idea of pruning.

Vidda Hatake
04-16-2009, 03:59 PM
The Slaughterhouse is good. Or the Dead Zone... It sounds like a good idea. But, as in the previous case of the nearly 50 page 'chat', the Mods will still be able to go in and clear out things like that, right?

Toma RNK
04-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi tomarnk,

I think we all agree with you regarding the fear of post-farming. I don't know if auto-pruning whole forums will be the answer. What if we mods moved topics that fit your above criteria into an "Auto-Pruning zone"? A forum specifically designed to house topics that go there to die. We can call it the Slaughterhouse 8-) Or maybe Florida...

Well that's one idea. Is there a way to make certain forums not contribute towards your post count? Specifically I'm thinking about Forum Games. Because I agree that none of that should up your post count, but I don't like the idea of pruning.

In phpbb3 there is no method or mod I have found to prevent a post from counting towards post count. This is why I suggested pruning. If you guys want the drama of picking "useless" threads then more power to you it is a much better method.

garraswerewolf
04-16-2009, 07:01 PM
With the introduction of a rank system people will likely start posting just to increase post count.

I feel some measures should be taken to disuade this practice without ruining the fun of the forums. adly I donot have any perfect answers so thought I would open up a discussion on it. I will start by posting some basic ideas and the debate will begin. I am sure most people will not like me for this thread but I think the discussion should be had.

Suggestions:

Auto pruning of the off topic or forum games forums.
Reasoning: The off topic and forum game forums are for the short term entertainment of bored forum members. Occasionally quality content exists on them but for the most part is is for killing time. Posts in these areas while keeping us members around do not contribute to the naruto discussion, knowledge, or fandom except to keep people logged in. Pruning topics inactive for 30 days allows plenty of time for the dialogue to stop and the game to conclude, but keeps post counts reflecting meaningful contributions.

Manual pruning of "two man" threads.
Reasoning: Unless two people are debaiting something using "naruto facts" or are debating a forum improvement, chances are the thread is just a conversation between 2 people. In these instances PM's would suffice as it is not really a forum topic.

Please do not flame me, I am aiming to start a discussion, not a debate or flamewar. If a debate happens because of good points on both sides, keep things civil.
you are a very smart person you know that

Sage Mode
04-16-2009, 07:03 PM
In phpbb3 there is no method or mod I have found to prevent a post from counting towards post count. This is why I suggested pruning. If you guys want the drama of picking "useless" threads then more power to you it is a much better method.

Well, it could be a combo (pretty much what you were saying): auto-pruning in Forum Games (maybe elsewhere), and then mods deeming things useless by dropping them into the Dead Zone. But yeah, that could cause drama.

Toma RNK
04-16-2009, 07:04 PM
you are a very smart person you know that
It isn't so much about smart as I have had these debates before. I know where flame wars pop up and what is generally touchy. Smart has little to do with it, though I have always been very technical.

Chidori Shuriken
04-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Usually the mods come around once in a while to check on each of the forums and subforums right? Maybe they could keep on forum games and off-topic forum to not go on since those aren't really about Naruto mostly. If they went around and had a deduct post button to take away the number of posts the person had, but kept their post there.

What I also think is that there are 2 report buttons. One for abuse and one for off topic. If you click on off topic, it sends the post to the mods and they can deduct the post. I'm not a computer genius, but this is just an idea.

evil buzzard
04-24-2009, 03:31 AM
You make a good point but i have made topics in off topic that do not post-farm
i use off topic to talk about things im not sure were it wuold go in
and i dont plan to post farm any more.

evil buzzard
04-24-2009, 03:49 AM
I have a few things to say.

I have played games for a long time now and there is 1 thing i have lernd is that there will all ways be cheaters you cant get rid of them no matter what you do thay will all ways be there.

i have a game mph/metriod prime hunters i found a way to beat hackers on it and no matter how many times i beat them thay still hacked thay had death alt to were if thay touch players the player thay touch dies rite there then and thay could fly thay hade no helth there was one way i found to kill them that was frezzing them off a cliff even when i beat them thayed fight again and again and so on so no thay did not stop cheating.

so rather you take off topic stuff away or what ever rhay would find a way to do it els were.

Sage Mode
04-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Well, regardless of the aforementioned proposed measures, if people trying to post-farm becomes an inevitable thing, those who have built a reputation of post-farming will never progress beyond Special Jonin Candidate, where the rankings stop updating automatically. And they will have to live with that shame every time they log on.

evil buzzard
04-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Well we can and should make more mods to erase the topics that post-farm/p-f

i'm not saying this to get me to be a mod but i will be one and im on all most evry day

P-F = post-farming

Chidori Shuriken
04-24-2009, 05:43 PM
I thought my idea wasn't that bad!

Kingsnoke
04-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, regardless of the aforementioned proposed measures, if people trying to post-farm becomes an inevitable thing, those who have built a reputation of post-farming will never progress beyond Special Jonin Candidate, where the rankings stop updating automatically. And they will have to live with that shame every time they log on.

That's a good idea, for certain topics are not truly Naruto related

Kingsnoke
04-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Maybe if someone becomes known for post farming, their rank becomes Rogue Ninja, and stays that way

Soccer Ninja 21
04-25-2009, 08:58 AM
I think people should be resodsible about them selves, they knows it's wrong so just don't do it. Sadly some poeple don't belive in this philsophy.

Hiro
04-26-2009, 02:57 PM
What is a post farmer

SRhyse
04-26-2009, 04:03 PM
What is a post farmer
Someone who makes alot of posts that aren't really meaningful or about anything, for the sole purpose of getting more posts to raise their rank.

It's like a 'gold farmer' in WoW, but with posts.

Hiro
04-26-2009, 05:22 PM

BaneDeidara
04-26-2009, 05:30 PM
i think maybe forums games should not count towards your rank, but im not sure about off-topic. i have to admit that 50% of my posts are on forum games, i think they are realy fun but you get a lot of quick posts, so i dont realy think i have earned this rank. off-topic does have some quality posts that i think should count in the rank.

SRhyse
04-26-2009, 05:36 PM
i think maybe forums games should not count towards your rank, but im not sure about off-topic. i have to admit that 50% of my posts are on forum games, i think they are realy fun but you get a lot of quick posts, so i dont realy think i have earned this rank. off-topic does have some quality posts that i think should count in the rank.
Forum Games definitely are a problem for rankings. We don't want them to be meaningless, either, and do like that people are social and fun in them.

It's tricky.

I can try setting them to delete after the game is over, so the raised post counts would always go back down.

BaneDeidara
04-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Forum Games definitely are a problem for rankings. We don't want them to be meaningless, either, and do like that people are social and fun in them.

It's tricky.

I can try setting them to delete after the game is over, so the raised post counts would always go back down.
but some forum games never end. like right now i am playing a hurt and heal game that has a story line and i dont think it will ever end until everyone just stops playing it for whatever reason

SRhyse
04-26-2009, 05:41 PM

It's tricky.

but some forum games never end. like right now i am playing a hurt and heal game that has a story line and i dont think it will ever end until everyone just stops playing it for whatever reason
That's true.

Hmm... well, in future improvements to the forum, I'm pretty sure I could just flat out set Forum Games not to count towards ranks.

Maybe for Off Topic, which does have alot of good threads in addition to topics like 'Random,' we could have a 'Hall of Fame' subforum that we mods moved threads too that everyone thought were really worthwhile?

BaneDeidara
04-26-2009, 05:48 PM
i just want to add 1 thing. would the post number still be able to stay up from the games and just those posts not count? i like having a high post count, it brings out the competitive side in me. but i dont think the posts from forum games should count in rank, just keep the number high.

Chidori Shuriken
04-26-2009, 05:51 PM
I thought my idea wasn't that bad! No one even considered my idea!

BaneDeidara
04-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Usually the mods come around once in a while to check on each of the forums and subforums right? Maybe they could keep on forum games and off-topic forum to not go on since those aren't really about Naruto mostly. If they went around and had a deduct post button to take away the number of posts the person had, but kept their post there.

What I also think is that there are 2 report buttons. One for abuse and one for off topic. If you click on off topic, it sends the post to the mods and they can deduct the post. I'm not a computer genius, but this is just an idea.
that first part: that could be complicated. there would be just too many for mods the handle. some automatic system would be much simpiler

the second part: that sounds like a very good idea in my opinion

BaneDeidara
04-26-2009, 05:59 PM
I thought my idea wasn't that bad! No one even considered my idea!
feel better now?

evil buzzard
04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
I have to say one thing i think its rong to P-F but the site is to have fun so why not let them have fun with what there doing.

I'm not a post-farmer.

evil buzzard
04-26-2009, 08:27 PM
I got a idea you could set a difrent number for off topic so that ppl can see how much post farming thay have done.

Or you can have set ranks for post-famers to be on that is harder to rank up on.

Chidori Shuriken
04-28-2009, 03:13 PM
An automatic thing would be complicated too. Wonder how it'd work.

Oh, and the person above me has a good idea. The mods know who post farms so they could make it harder to rank up pfor them ONLY?

Tracer
04-28-2009, 03:30 PM
I like sage's idea let them stick to Special Jounin Canadate forever! Since its up to the Mods to promote after that

Viceroy
04-28-2009, 03:36 PM
The thing I've been running into is that when people get bored of posting about Naruto they turn to chatting about anything random that will keep them entertained. Even I have succumbed to the joy of posting a conversation. Pruning will definitely scare people away from farming but it will not stop the fact that people want to talk. So here's another idea that isn't quite as smart but I think it would help:

Make a chatroom. That way when someone wants to just chat they have place to do it with out farming out a whole bunch of posts or littering their conversations all over the place.

Tracer
04-28-2009, 04:22 PM
The thing I've been running into is that when people get bored of posting about Naruto they turn to chatting about anything random that will keep them entertained. Even I have succumbed to the joy of posting a conversation. Pruning will definitely scare people away from farming but it will not stop the fact that people want to talk. So here's another idea that isn't quite as smart but I think it would help:

Make a chatroom. That way when someone wants to just chat they have place to do it with out farming out a whole bunch of posts or littering their conversations all over the place.

that is nice idea but there is little ones on this forum and that is a can of worms that shouldn't be opened

now maybe a slight adjustment to your idea

Make a 'thumbs up' and 'thumbs down' option that way you can micro manage but use us to do it not the mods

'oh but this will make it to where no one will ever get a number in posts?'

true enough... But there is some barriers to protect people from being stomped on like if 10 or more 'thumbs down' your post then it gets petetioned and sent to the mods for looking at. If they deem it no good then truely its no good. If it was becasue someone dosen't want you posting for some idiotic reason then nothing happens and voting is closed on the matter.

We live in a democacy why should we give this power to just one person?! Give us the VOTE!(This ad wasn't paid for by 'Tracer for president' fund)

Viceroy
04-28-2009, 04:30 PM
It sounds to me like the Mods are spreading out responsibility. I think who ever has authority should have the power to cut things out that don't need to be there. Like what Chidori sensei did in the Forum Families thread. People like that should keep the threads in line.

Tracer
04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
It sounds to me like the Mods are spreading out responsibility. I think who ever has authority should have the power to cut things out that don't need to be there. Like what Chidori sensei did in the Forum Families thread. People like that should keep the threads in line.

this all boils down to mods are human and can't be god no matter how hard they try. IMHO giving power to us isn't going to hurt us all that bad. Just there is some people out there who abuse the power...

what did chidori do?(pm that answer)

Chidori Shuriken
04-28-2009, 04:53 PM
Oh, Tracer PM me the answer too.

But what would happen would with a manual off topic report people could just put in random stuff and make it sound like they were off topic even by one sentence. But if someone posts something off topic couldn't they just edit it off or delete it before the report gets there? I need to ask something about editing too in a different topic. Until then, see ya.

Tracer
04-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Oh, Tracer PM me the answer too.

But what would happen would with a manual off topic report people could just put in random stuff and make it sound like they were off topic even by one sentence. But if someone posts something off topic couldn't they just edit it off or delete it before the report gets there? I need to ask something about editing too in a different topic. Until then, see ya.

well for one if the tallie/vote system is in place and someone was off topic then edited it out the mods could see this since they are on the other side of this site. and make the opporeate choice in what to do.

I can see what you are getting at is the [spoiler:yczynq8t]analretentive[/spoiler:yczynq8t] people who are looking for an excuse to abuse power. Which I think there should be a downside to placing needless negitive tallie marks.

But if you think about it this it makes for less work for the mods since now they don't have to look at every post that is put on this site we can vote and manage things for them while they lightly police the site and handel real issues like spam bots and the likes!