PDA

View Full Version : English Subs or English Dubs?

Toddler Naruto
12-29-2010, 07:18 AM
Which do you prefer when watching anime, english subs or english dubs?

I prefer english dubs, but I will watch an anime english subbed if an english dub does not exist.

By the way, I pretend that all Animax-Asia dubs don't exist, since they are very terrible dubs.

WindScar22
12-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Since I can buy the English dubbed Anime, I watch that. I have to admit, I don't like One Piece's English cast that much, but oh well. It's good enough.

katsu uchiha
12-29-2010, 07:32 AM
The sub, whenever something is dubbed into english its usually sucks. The japanese w/subs is spot on with the emotional and drama aspect of it when something is in a dub its downgraded a lot from its highest aspect to something really low, the only thing about the dub is the humour. I watch dubs but i prefer to watch the sub cause its better.

tsuki
12-29-2010, 07:59 AM
It doesn't really matter to me. Either way works.

UnDeAd Hikari
12-29-2010, 08:29 AM
I always watch subs first, then occasionally I will go back and watch dubs, just for shizz and giggles

MysticGoten
12-29-2010, 08:32 AM
90 percent of the time the subs are better...so what do you think I choose?

Shikamaru Nara
12-29-2010, 08:36 AM
English subs. Better quality. And it's closer to the original.

NarutoUzumaki12
12-29-2010, 09:24 AM
I like Dubs more. Some Dubs to me are better like Bleach,and Dragonball Z and some subs are better like Naruto and One Piece

Inuyasha
12-29-2010, 01:40 PM
I like Dubs better then Subs all the way

if i read i might miss stuff

Beast Boy
12-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Subs. Reading the subs on the bottom can make me miss out on action, but I think the VA's do way better in Japanese than in English.

But if I'm just feeling lazy, I'll watch the dubs. Some are actually good, but not all of them.

MysticGoten
12-29-2010, 01:47 PM
I like Dubs more. Some Dubs to me are better like Bleach,and Dragonball Z and some subs are better like Naruto and One Piece

DragonBall Z has the worst dub. <.<

Beast Boy
12-29-2010, 01:54 PM
DragonBall Z has the worst dub. <.<
Yes. Yes it does.

Some voices I can tolerate (Yamcha, Bulma, King Kai I guess) but everyone else's is terrible. I couldn't stand Vegeta's voice after hearing it for the first time when I re-watched it.

AfroMan
12-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Subs all the way!

Fighting_dreamer
12-29-2010, 02:34 PM
The sub, whenever something is dubbed into english its usually sucks. The japanese w/subs is spot on with the emotional and drama aspect of it when something is in a dub its downgraded a lot from its highest aspect to something really low, the only thing about the dub is the humour. I watch dubs but i prefer to watch the sub cause its better.

Definitely :D I prefer watching Japanese anime in Japanese...for me the dubbed anime is not even the real anime!! But then everyone's different!! Also with the dubbing the accents get in the way :mad:

Kazuki Dekiru
12-29-2010, 03:06 PM
If given the choice, I'll take english audio over Japanese audio with subtitles simply because it's easier to watch content in dubs. This isn't to say I got anything against the Japanese language. Unless there's too much text filled with translation notes and karaoke lyrics, I have no problem watching a show in subtitles and the Japanese langauge itself I don't usually mind either. That being said, if I'm about to watch a show for the first time and the two choices are in english or Japanese, then I would want to watch an anime show like how I would watch any movie, sitcom, cartoon or other television program. And that's in english audio. Though if I'm curious enough to know what the Japanese audio is like depending on how much I'm into the show, then I'll watch it in Japanese.

One thing I will admit is I don't bother to make much of a competition over which audio track is better in order for me to enjoy a show. So I never found the point of heavily comparing the two, picking one and then saying "SUBS FTW, DUBS SUX!!" It's becoming really annoyingly childish for me! I don't care which audio track is cooler. I don't care which voice actor has a sexier voice. And I don't care which actor "holds up" better or brings out more emotion or subtlety. As long as either can act at all, I'm fine. I'm just care about which audio track is more comfortable for me to watch, period!

And you wanna know what's the best part of all this? If you talked to ANY voice actor that has ever dubbed anime from either Texas, California, New York or Canada about what they think about "sub vs dub I bet y'all EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM would not give a crap about that! Not one of them will EVER think of doing dubs as a means to "compete" with the Japanese. In fact if anyone here ever listens to the "That Anime Show" podcast (http://thatanimeshow.com/) hosted by Terri Doty and J. Michael Tatum, they will repeat that notion over and over again.

Kitsune
12-29-2010, 03:28 PM
I like both. But Subs take the cake for me. I just feel like it's more original and the voices almost always fit the characters they play, but Dubs can be like that too.

Bleach has a pretty decent dub, and I feel like most of the voices in there match their character, but that's only because I haven't watched the subbed version, and I probably never will from being too used to the english version...but that's just me.

Miles Edgeworth
12-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Generally I prefer subs. Not all dubs are bad, but in general the subs are better.

The only exception I can think of is Yu Yu Hakusho. I liked the dub for that better, maybe because Kurama didn't sound as girly and I liked Hiei's English voice more.

Dio Brando
12-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Generally I prefer subs. Not all dubs are bad, but in general the subs are better.

The only exception I can think of is Yu Yu Hakusho. I liked the dub for that better, maybe because Kurama didn't sound as girly and I liked Hiei's English voice more.

All dub are gay and sh!t. They're just a bunch of wannabe voice acting.

Japanese Dub >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> English Dub in every Anime. No exceptions.

Maikeru D. Shinigami
12-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Subs are always better for me, but some dubs are tolerable.

Cloukora
12-29-2010, 04:46 PM
it depends
I think Death Note was waaay better in subs than dubbed (L sounded way cooler subbed)
but most shows i like them dubbed, such as Bleach, DB, and recently, Naruto

jhokage613
12-29-2010, 04:49 PM
I prefer English dubs but only if it is uncut otherwise I will go for English subs

Sheelah
12-29-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't think it would really matter to me as I'm used to the Japanese language with the English subbed...so I don't think it really matters..

Miles Edgeworth
12-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't see how YYH subs are better than the dub though. I mean the YYH subs aren't bad, but Hiei's and Kurama's dubbed voices are a bit more fitting and likeable in my opinion.

MysticGoten
12-29-2010, 05:23 PM
Well, that's like Goku in the Japanese version. While, yeah, I love his voice in English, I still love the original more. It's what his voice was supposed to be and what I like just as much.

Toddler Naruto
12-29-2010, 08:28 PM
English Dubs.

I HATE having to watch an anime subbed because the dub didn't dub all of the episodes or the anime was canceled for some retarded reason.

`#(

You just couldn't resist posting in here Dubs4Life xD.

Dragon Ball Z has the worst dub. <.<

You are talking about FUNimation's recent/new dub of DBZ in the orange bricks right?

(Not to be confused with the Ocean Dub or the old FUNimation Dub)

I prefer English dubs but only if it is uncut otherwise I will go for English subs

What is wrong with english dubs that are not uncut?

I love the dubs for digimon, pokemon, bakugan, yu-gi-oh 5d's, dinosaur king, and medabots alot, and they are not uncut.

Sasuke
12-29-2010, 11:08 PM
I like both, but if I had to choose, I would choose English Dub only because it is in my own language, and I can tolerate even the worst voice actors, such as though that dub in Fairy Tail's Animax-Asia dub(Can't wait for Funimation to pick up Fairy Tail)

Toddler Naruto
12-30-2010, 10:00 AM
I like both, but if I had to choose, I would choose English Dub only because it is in my own language, and I can tolerate even the worst voice actors, such as though that dub in Fairy Tail's Animax-Asia dub(Can't wait for Funimation to pick up Fairy Tail)

I hope that Fairy Tail gets dubbed for real soon too (animax-asia does not count in my book).

Marajsky
01-03-2011, 11:47 AM
depends on the show. if a anime takes place in the US or any english speaking country (like Hellsing) then I like the dub better since the voices fit. To hear an french guy (like Pip in Hellsing) speaking japanese doesn't fit. But if the anime takes place in Japan (like Bleach and Naruto) then I like the sub better. Just my .02

DeathStalker35
01-13-2011, 06:12 PM
dub over sub any day every day

Leafy
01-13-2011, 06:23 PM
sub over dub any day every day

rikuonura
01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
I am an equal opportunity liker of both dub and sub. I don't discriminate, even though I usually watch subtitled anyway.

ban_shi
01-14-2011, 10:16 AM
doesnt really matter. but i hate how certain translators use different words for the same phrase!

kyuubi sage7
01-14-2011, 10:35 AM
i would say subs because i like the original japanese voices

Invisible Fog
01-14-2011, 01:34 PM
When the dubs are tolerable, I prefer them. But I'll gladly take subs any day.

Narutorious
01-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Depends the anime, most of the times I'll prefer subs, but Yu Yu Hakusho for example, I prefer dub.

KazekageGaara
01-14-2011, 06:29 PM
In most anime, I'd usually go for dubs. But if they are not available, or suck all together, I'd gladly go for subs.

Pain-Konan
01-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Believe it or not, I like both equally. I don't prefer dubs over subs, and I don't prefer subs over dubs. I have never hated a dub or sub.