PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: Reputation requirements for rank increases.

Toma RNK
07-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Has anyone considered a reputation cost to rank up in addition to posts?

I know the current list was made back on the old forums where rep did not exist.

I just wanted to start a conversation about the pro's and con's of implementing such a system.

Main pro is requiring quality posts and not just rewarding people for 1 line replies.

Main con is that people will lose rank.

Thoughts?

deidara330
07-01-2009, 12:27 PM

I know the current list was made back on the old forums where rep did not exist.

I just wanted to start a conversation about the pro's and con's of implementing such a system.

Main pro is requiring quality posts and not just rewarding people for 1 line replies.

Thoughts?
It stops post farming. You need to deserve that rank for recognition among peers as well as contributing to the forums. I wouldn't mind losing rank to implement this. Not just this, the people who would brag about having a high rank wouldn't be getting enough rep to get a high rank. Right now, a lot of people could have a high rank and not deserve it. Tying reputation points into the ranking system fixes that.

Space Cowboy Sasori
07-01-2009, 12:28 PM
I agree with Deidara.

lol I pulled a one liner.

Toma RNK
07-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I agree with Deidara.

lol I pulled a one liner.

In this case it matters since the mods need to hear peoples opinions on this.

Chidori Shuriken
07-01-2009, 01:42 PM
It stops post farming. You need to deserve that rank for recognition among peers as well as contributing to the forums. I wouldn't mind losing rank to implement this. Not just this, the people who would brag about having a high rank wouldn't be getting enough rep to get a high rank. Right now, a lot of people could have a high rank and not deserve it. Tying reputation points into the ranking system fixes that.

I agree.

That fixed my one-liner.

Konoha'sGreenThunder
07-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Of course, then we have more rep-farming. People asking others for rep non-stop, etc. Plus, some newer members may find it hard gaining rep at first..

I think it's a good idea, though. Perhaps it can be done for higher ranks..I'll think about it some more and post if I come up with anything.

Life AKA Death
07-01-2009, 01:47 PM

Thoughts?

for me its like whtever its cool if i get some and sux if i lose some just gotta keep working up

<Aurega?>
07-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I already brought this up to the mods (and in council chat) and they agreed on this to some extent. I am aware that they are implementing a requirement for the jonin leader rank.

But opening up a discussion is a good idea.

Sensei : Riku Arashi
07-01-2009, 01:56 PM
i agree with deidara330

Toma RNK
07-01-2009, 07:59 PM
this makes sense and I am wondering how this will be implemented

My hopes are that someone in this thread will start discussing what pre reqirements and such make sense at each level and at what levels we should have rep requirements.

Naruto
07-02-2009, 06:16 AM
Toma which would be better? Do you need to gain rep power to increase in rank or rep points?

Toma RNK
07-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Toma which would be better? Do you need to gain rep power to increase in rank or rep points?

I am thinking of more a combo like "to get chunin you must have 850 posts and 25 reputation" or something like that.. The number was just a guess and wan't thought out but that's the idea.

Naruto
07-02-2009, 06:25 AM
I am thinking of more a combo like "to get chunin you must have 850 posts and 25 reputation" or something like that.. The number was just a guess and wan't thought out but that's the idea.
Rep power shouldn't count because people like the top posters could just post 1,000 posts a day and they'd have so much rep power.

The combination thing is a good idea.

Also how about 1,500 posts and 50 rep points to get special jonin.

Raiden
07-02-2009, 06:27 AM
but then no one well ever rank up

Naruto
07-02-2009, 06:31 AM
but then no one well ever rank up
All they have to do is post quality posts. If they can't do that then what's the point of the rep system?

Toma RNK
07-02-2009, 06:33 AM
All they have to do is post quality posts. If they can't do that then what's the point of the rep system?

The point of the rep system is exactly that, to judge the quality of peoples posts.

Raiden
07-02-2009, 06:35 AM
no one can post 1,000 quality post, and people dont give away +1 rep even if its a quality post, they only give +1 rep to the people like Toma

Naruto
07-02-2009, 06:37 AM
The point of the rep system is exactly that, to judge the quality of peoples posts.
If you post quality posts it means you're working on post count and your rep points. Next thing you know you just moved up a rank. I know its not as easy as it sounds.

Naruto
07-02-2009, 06:40 AM
no one can post 1,000 quality post, and people dont give away +1 rep even if its a quality post, they only give +1 rep to the people like Toma
I can post 1,000 quality posts but I don't think I'll get +1 for every post so you do kind of have a point.

Toma RNK
07-02-2009, 06:43 AM
I can post 1,000 quality posts but I don't think I'll get +1 for every post so you do kind of have a point.
I have over 200 rep and most of it comes from 5 posts.

You can keep getting rep over time for a single good post. uality over quantity.

Naruto
07-02-2009, 06:50 AM
The bad part of this idea which is not really bad -

If people are here to have fun then if they lose a rank they'll be okay with it. If they're here for the rank then they'll dock our rep points. Then hate us.

Thats my short way to say it.

Naruto
07-02-2009, 06:54 AM
I have over 200 rep and most of it comes from 5 posts.

You can keep getting rep over time for a single good post. uality over quantity.
I know that but I don't recieve a lot of rep most of the time so thats why I counted +1 or higher if the person who is adding to my rep has a high rep power.

Toma RNK
07-02-2009, 06:59 AM
I know that but I don't recieve a lot of rep most of the time so thats why I counted +1 or higher if the person who is adding to my rep has a high rep power.

As time goes on it will become easier to gain rep cause there will be more and more people with higher rep (and thus can affect your reputation more with each click.

If the top ten reputation people all clicked on your rep you would go up 31 points (not including the mods + or - 50) When we first started it would have taken 31 or more clicks to get +31 rep.

And this is just in 3 weeks.

Naruto
07-02-2009, 07:05 AM
As time goes on it will become easier to gain rep cause there will be more and more people with higher rep (and thus can affect your reputation more with each click.

If the top ten reputation people all clicked on your rep you would go up 31 points (not including the mods + or - 50) When we first started it would have taken 31 or more clicks to get +31 rep.

And this is just in 3 weeks.
Yeah you're right and this is just the begining of this system.

<Aurega?>
07-02-2009, 07:10 AM
Yeah you're right and this is just the begining of this system.

Naruto, didn't have have like 34 rep from only 4 people repping you?

Which means the mods must had repped your three times.

What did you do?

Naruto
07-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Naruto, didn't have have like 34 rep from only 4 people repping you?

Which means the mods must had repped your three times.

What did you do?
Yes the mods did rep me 3 times.

Sage Mode gave me rep for the idea of putting spoiler tags in my sig.

Sage Mode
07-02-2009, 09:49 AM
I brought this idea up when I "leveled" the only Jonins. I was thinking 250 rep points would be needed to get to Jonin Leader at the moment. But that could increase as things begin to scale differently over time.

I hadn't really considered a reputation requirement for every rank, though.

deidara330
07-02-2009, 09:53 AM
I brought this idea up when I "leveled" the only Jonins. I was thinking 250 rep points would be needed to get to Jonin Leader at the moment. But that could increase as things begin to scale differently over time.

I think every rank above the genin ranks should have some rep requirement. Is there a rep requirement for jonin?

Toma RNK
07-02-2009, 09:54 AM

perhaps not every rank but for "milestone ranks" like genin chuin and jonin.

deidara330
07-02-2009, 09:56 AM
^This idea is bettere than mine.

Minoru
07-02-2009, 10:09 AM
some people tho just dont give out any rep so it would be really really hard just to go up in rank what i think is that u should hav a certain amount posts nd rep but if u hav enof posts like extra posts (ex sort a: lets say u hav 1000 posts for but no rep points they could make up for it by having like 500 extra posts but only staying at the the rnk they would as if they had 1000 posts cuz they have no rep)it can make up for ot having any rep but the person cant hve negative rep or else they dont go up at all -thats somewhat of a theory i have about the issue (P.S. i think this is the longest post ive ever done which is alot for me)

Sage Mode
07-02-2009, 10:22 AM

Is there a way or a mod to have them automated in tandem? Otherwise that would take a bunch of time to manually keep track of everyone moving up through the ranks.

Toma RNK
07-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Is there a way or a mod to have them automated in tandem? Otherwise that would take a bunch of time to manually keep track of everyone moving up through the ranks.
You know me sage, I wouldn't suggest something that couldn't be implemented.

Edit: in fact if given time I could incorporate the "(X number of d class missions) idea" into the technical back end without mods. It's really not hard but I don't wanna mess with that stuff on the test forum without permission.

3lilpandas
07-02-2009, 10:57 AM
I like the thought of reputation having an impact on rank, and the "milestone rank" thing that Toma mentioned seems to be a pretty good idea. You would still have to have the necessary post count to advance, but if you really want to reach the next milestone you would have to have the support of you peers. Sounds good. I'll be interested to see what happens.

itachiuchiha85
07-02-2009, 05:04 PM
thats not the point guys, we would never make it "to be a jonin you have to have 3000 posts and 1000 rep" thats just not gonna happen.

we might go like "3000 posts and 80 rep or 100 rep" you know something hard but reasonable.

Cade
07-04-2009, 03:42 PM
But not that many people are repping others,so it might take a long time to get to that rank.

Toma RNK
07-08-2009, 02:11 AM
But not that many people are repping others,so it might take a long time to get to that rank.
that just makes the reward that much sweeter.

danboy
07-08-2009, 03:00 AM
that just makes the reward that much sweeter.

very true and people will notice a significant change in the ranks so they actually care enough to give rep

Naruto
07-10-2009, 11:44 AM
So true!

madara'
07-14-2009, 06:50 AM
cool.

Kon
07-14-2009, 06:56 AM
yea thats cool

TheViolletteHeart
07-14-2009, 07:28 AM
The idea sounds good to me, mainly because I don't care about what rank I am and don't even remember what it is. *opens tab and finds rank* Oh, I'm a chunin...Cool.

But what about someone in a similar situation to mine (as far as rep goes) who cares a little more about rank than I do? They put out several quality posts, and would be extremely lucky to get one point of rep on one of them. They put out several random posts on off topic pages and get atleast three points of reputation.

Wouldn't that encourage people to put out more random, useless posts?

I have seriously received rep on a post that only says " *giggles* "

I have also been docked rep for killing a character in a story. Now, the person who did this and I had a little chat and he gave me some rep back as soon as he could, but the example is still relevant to my point.

So far, I think only two or three people have given me rep (even looking at all the neutral rep that is supposed to be possitive judging by their comments) for a quality post.

Wouldn't this cut a lot of deserving people off from ranking up and allow people who don't deserve it as much to rank up faster?

Naruto
07-14-2009, 07:38 AM
This question has a consequence for each choice.

Toma RNK
07-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Wouldn't this cut a lot of deserving people off from ranking up and allow people who don't deserve it as much to rank up faster?

Or encourage people go give rep more often.

Naruto
07-14-2009, 07:42 AM
There is no digital scale for me to put this on or I would've picked the choice that weighs the most.

Also TheViolletteHeart (http://naruto.viz.com/forum/member.php?u=2390) I gave you some rep. I don't think that you were extremely lucky to get that point.

Naruto
07-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Or encourage people go give rep more often.
Toma you always have a good point.

Toma RNK
07-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Toma you always have a good point.
I feel tying rep to something people enjoy will encourage people to use the system AND will increase the quality of posts all around.

I don't KNOW this will be the case, but that's how I feel.

TheViolletteHeart
07-14-2009, 07:50 AM
I feel tying rep to something people enjoy will encourage people to use the system AND will increase the quality of posts all around.

Makes sense. I suppose you can only guess how things go until you actually put something into action. I'm hoping for the positive scenerio right now.

Naruto
07-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Makes sense. I suppose you can only guess how things go until you actually put something into action. I'm hoping for the positive scenerio right now.
I want the positive scenerio too. Only people who'll want the negative scenerio are people who can't post a quality post.

Toma RNK
07-14-2009, 07:53 AM
I just wanna state that you made a good point, and while I prefer to think that my thoughts will turn out to be right, yours are perfectly valid.

Naruto
07-14-2009, 07:55 AM

If I could rep a person without having to rep 20 people to rep that peorson again I'd rep you Toma RNK lots of times.

TheViolletteHeart
07-14-2009, 07:55 AM
I just wanna state that you made a good point, and while I prefer to think that my thoughts will turn out to be right, yours are perfectly valid.

Thank you, both of you for the rep, and for having this discussion with me. I am glad I could say something of value.

Toma RNK
07-14-2009, 08:07 AM
I'll also add that the longer these systems go on the easier it is to gain rep. TheBlackChidori in one thread, in one day gained 100 rep.

My first 100 rep took me almost 3 weeks with people preping me CONSTANTLY. Going from 2-3 hundred took me 4 days with many fewer posts.

I mean, I now can give someone 8 rep, which is more than I ever earned in a day back in the beginning. this will get better, not worse.

Food for thought.

Naruto
07-14-2009, 08:10 AM
TheBlackChidori just zoomed through the top 10 stats. One day he has 0 rep next day he has a 100.

TheViolletteHeart
07-14-2009, 08:13 AM
That is pretty amazing.

Naruto
07-14-2009, 08:18 AM
That is pretty amazing.
I know from 0-100 in 1 day is just incredible.