PDA

View Full Version : Is D. Gray Man good?

ByakuganMaster024
09-05-2010, 08:24 AM
I've heard about this anime a few times now and I've decided to start watching it. I thought the first episode was good but I'd like some second opinions from anyone who's farther ahead than I am. So, how good is this D. Gray Man series?

Akatsuki Gord
09-05-2010, 09:30 AM
i like D.Gray Man but i'd say it's no where near as good as naruto, bleach, soul eater and others

ByakuganMaster024
09-06-2010, 12:06 PM
i like D.Gray Man but i'd say it's no where near as good as naruto, bleach, soul eater and others
Really? Not as good as Naruto even? Hmmm... well I'll take your opinion into consideration but I'd like to hear some other people's opinions too and watch some more episodes before I judge it like that.

Taker369
09-06-2010, 12:19 PM
ignore the naruto fan boys the anime gets alot better then naruto ever will the emoiton that happens later on is amazing even though the anime ended for some reason the manga is still going and the music and opening themes are beautful wait to you get to a ceratin episode the emotion is just wow.

ByakuganMaster024
09-06-2010, 12:35 PM
ignore the naruto fan boys the anime gets alot better then naruto ever will the emoiton that happens later on is amazing even though the anime ended for some reason the manga is still going and the music and opening themes are beautful wait to you get to a ceratin episode the emotion is just wow.

Ok, thanks Taker. I was gonna say, if it isn't as good as Naruto then that would be pretty bad.:lol: Based on the first episode it looks to me like I'll like it almost as much as I do Fullmetal Alchemist, so I'll keep watching it if it gets as good as you say it does. If they stopped the episodes then do you think that maybe they're just waiting for the manga to get ahead without filler episodes? Or did the anime have it's own ending?

Kazuki Dekiru
09-06-2010, 12:54 PM
@ Byakuganmaster024:

You might also want to read a few reviews of the show if you want a second opinion.

You can look at Casey Brienza's review here (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/d.gray-man/dvd-season-one-part-one), Bamboo Dong's Shelf Life review of the D. Gray-Man box set here (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2009-04-06#dgray), Chris Beveridge's review of D.Gray-Man on mania.com (*note: google search for "D. Gray man part 1 review mania.com" to find the review. There's a picture of Cross game on the bottom which is licensed by Viz, so I can't show the link), and another review here (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/anime/6305-Anime-Review-D-Gray-Man-Season-1).

My personal take on it is that after watching the first 3 episodes, I'm not immediately grabbed by the story. It gets right straight to explaining the details of the story as if I'm suppose to care more for the story than I really do. And I'm having trouble symphasizing with these characters. I don't hate them (except for Kanda), but I don't like them enough either.

Besides the whole theme in D-Gray-Man is a bit too gothic and depressing for my tastes. It's the same reason I couldn't totally get into Trinity Blood or Blood+ as much as I wanted to when they were on Adult Swim.

ByakuganMaster024
09-06-2010, 01:04 PM
@ Byakuganmaster024:

You might also want to read a few reviews of the show if you want a second opinion.

You can look at Casey Brienza's review here (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/d.gray-man/dvd-season-one-part-one), Bamboo Dong's Shelf Life review of the D. Gray-Man box set here (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2009-04-06#dgray), Chris Beveridge's review of D.Gray-Man on mania.com (*note: google search for "D. Gray man part 1 review mania.com" to find the review. There's a picture of Cross game on the bottom which is licensed by Viz, so I can't show the link), and another review here (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/anime/6305-Anime-Review-D-Gray-Man-Season-1).

My personal take on it is that after watching the first 3 episodes, I'm not immediately grabbed by the story. It gets right straight to explaining the details of the story as if I'm suppose to care more for the story than I really do. And I'm having trouble symphasizing with these characters. I don't hate them (except for Kanda), but I don't like them enough either.

Besides the whole theme in D-Gray-Man is a bit too gothic and depressing for my tastes. It's the same reason I couldn't totally get into Trinity Blood or Blood+ as much as I wanted to when they were on Adult Swim.

Yes, don't worry I'm checking for reviews all over the place. I make sure I do all my research properly when starting an anime or manga.;) Thanks for putting in your opinion too though.

Akatsuki Gord
09-06-2010, 01:14 PM
i may be a naruto fan boy but D.Gray man imo doesn't come close to it.

it is a good anime but the characters are weak and i don't feel any attachment or liking towards them like i have done in previous anime.

when watching it i felt it didn't grab me from the start like a lot of animes do e.g naruto&fma:bh

it is worth a watch but like i said before there alot better anime out there

the ladies man
09-06-2010, 01:14 PM
its good

Cagalli
09-06-2010, 01:17 PM
I watched like 20 episodes then stopped for some reason. Lenalee is hot.

JackJohnson
09-06-2010, 01:26 PM
As someone that has seen more than 3 episodes and more than the first half set, the story goes places.

The problem is the anime went on indefinite haitus at the 103 episode mark. It leaves you really deep and at a critical peak, which if you want it resolved will have to pick up the manga.

Kazuki Dekiru
09-06-2010, 01:36 PM
As someone that has seen more than 3 episodes and more than the first half set, the story goes places.

The problem is the anime went on indefinite haitus at the 103 episode mark. It leaves you really deep and at a critical peak, which if you want resolved will have to pick up the manga.
Honestly I don't care for how faithful the anime is to the manga. And bear in mind. Since I'm watching a bunch of other anime shows that I'm already entertained with for the most part (Sengoku Basara 2, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Sekirei: Pure engagement, Occult Academy, Highschool of the Dead, Okamisan, K-ON, Darker than Black, Kekkaishi and Heroman), not to mention the 3 long-runnng shows, One Piece, Bleach and Naruto and I'm about to go apply college into my schedule again, I would need something about D. Gray-man that makes me WANT to add it to my list of shows to watch.

Unless the next couple of episodes after episode 3 immediately grab me, then I can't be convinced that the story the story will "go places."

JackJohnson
09-06-2010, 01:53 PM
I didn't say anything about how faithful or not the anime is to the manga. So try your canned response on someone else.
I only intended to respond to the OP that was looking into this anime, you know the person that apparently has an open slot in their viewing allowance.

You gave up in 3 episodes, I am just letting the OP know not to make the same ignorant mistake.

Kazuki Dekiru
09-06-2010, 02:21 PM
I didn't say anything about how faithful or not the anime is to the manga.
My mistake. I thought you were referring to fidelity of the anime when you mentioned how it got cancelled from what's the middle of the manga story.

I only intended to respond to the OP that was looking into this anime, you know the person that apparently has an open slot in their viewing allowance.
Okay sorry, but why didn't you just quote him then? I can't your mind, I can only read literally what you typed. When you mentioned about the "first 3 episodes" right after I did and didn't bother to type who you were actually referring to, then of course I would make that mistake. And no, I didn't know the original poster has a open slot in his/her viewing allowance since the person never mentioned how much free time he/she has to watch anime.

You gave up in 3 episodes, I am just letting the OP know not to make the same ignorant mistake.
Okay I have no idea why you even needed to go make an insult. I mean, really, "ignorant?" Ignorant how? How did I make an ignorant mistake for simply having tastes by not being into a show quite the same way as you?

JackJohnson
09-06-2010, 03:47 PM
My mistake. I thought you were referring to fidelity of the anime when you mentioned how it got cancelled from what's the middle of the manga story.

You seem to be feigning some sort of knowledge that allows you to make that fact. All the information I have read says 'hiatus." If you proof to the contrary do share.
Saying the story leaves in middle of a peak that and the only way to continue is to read the manga, does not resemble any fidelity argument. It means if you want more Soul Eater, Ouran Host Club, xxxHolic, etc read the manga. You have to try real hard to misconstrue that into what you tried to argue.

The first sentence of the OP sets the pace of the thread. An available viewing slot is not an issue for the OP.

It does not matter what adjective I used to describe your sampling size and conclusion. The only point you make that does not change when a person watches the series is the gothic appearance, which is wholly intended.

Kazuki Dekiru
09-06-2010, 06:27 PM
You seem to be feigning some sort of knowledge that allows you to make that fact. All the information I have read says 'hiatus." If you proof to the contrary do share.
Saying the story leaves in middle of a peak that and the only way to continue is to read the manga, does not resemble any fidelity argument. It means if you want more Soul Eater, Ouran Host Club, xxxHolic, etc read the manga. You have to try real hard to misconstrue...
Okay WAIT a mintue. Did I not make it clear in my last post that I said I made a mistake? I wasn't trying real hard at anything, it was just a freaking accidental misconception. Ya know, something humans do to show that they're well... human? Jeez!

The first sentence of the OP sets the pace of the thread. An available viewing slot is not an issue for the OP.
Did the orignal poster tell you that? And so what if the that person sets the pace of the thread? That doesn't mean I can't have an open discussion with someone other than the original poster.

It does not matter what adjective I used to describe your sampling size and conclusion. The only point you make that does not change when a person watches the series is the gothic appearance, which is wholly intended.
Ya know what, this is bull**** because it didn't seem like you bothered to answer directly to my question and gave a cop-out argument instead. You can't seriously expect me to believe, "it doesn't matter what adjective I used to describe your...blah, blah, blah" when you were the one who used the freaking adjective on purpose! Why else would you imply I made an ignorant mistake? Really, why?

JackJohnson
09-07-2010, 08:03 AM
I just think that 3 episodes worth of watching does not answer the OP's question and I get dragged into quote chain hell from someone that doesn't even have an opinion on the series.

sigh...let me know if this ever gets back on topic.

ByakuganMaster024
09-07-2010, 09:25 AM
I leave this thread alone for a while and I come back to find you guys arguing about it? Please just drop it you two. JackJohnson, if Kazuki Dekiru didn't find it interesting after 3 episodes then that's his opinion, it doesn't make him ignorant or anything.

Bacon
09-07-2010, 09:32 AM
The Anime Stopped way too early,but it was decent.

Reala
12-08-2010, 01:30 PM
The anime only stopped short because it was catching up the the manga and the author gets sick a lot and tends to go a few hiatuses, letting the anime catch up with the manga quicker than it usually would have.

I've watched and read the entire thing and it was great, it is quite dark and not for people who dislike the gothicy dark theme or a younger audience. I found it quite enjoyable the first series (episodes 1-51) is mostly filler, but its not as crappy as most of the naruto fillers.

I'd recommend it, i can't really explain it too well but all the way its written/drawn and how all the characters are composed is really amazing.

puppetmasterpossession
12-12-2010, 09:06 PM
So this is good?