PDA

View Full Version : Raikage speed calculation, anyone?

deidara330
06-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Renowned as one of the fastest characters in Naruto, I would like to see how most people arrive at speeds such as "Supersonic" and "Hypersonic" for him. Does anyone have an accurate calculation of his speed?

colorles
06-11-2010, 02:16 PM
there are people closely rivaling him in footspeed and surpassing by hype, and a few character's with greater reaction speed (pretty much all dojutsu users)

SageoftheSixPaths
06-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Is this for footspeed, attack speed, or reaction speed?

lolohwd
06-11-2010, 02:20 PM
just amuse us and calculate all of them

SageoftheSixPaths
06-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Well with that kind of incentive, who wouldn't want to do all that work?

I would, but I need to leave in ten minutes to go to my cousin's play.

deidara330
06-11-2010, 05:39 PM
there are people closely rivaling him in footspeed and surpassing by hype, and a few character's with greater reaction speed (pretty much all dojutsu users)That doesn't give me a calculated speed, though. You say few characters rival him in footspeed and reaction speed, but haven't backed it up with a feat or calculation, which is the point of this thread.Is this for footspeed, attack speed, or reaction speed?Mostly footspeed and reaction speed. I don't care about reaction speed, I just want to see where everyone gets their "He's high supersonic/low hypersonic" claims from. I know that I used to say things like that just because many people agreed, but recently I'm getting into actually doing the math myself.

I'm into speed calculations now because I recently calculated an Itachi speed feat at 9 MPH, which is nowhere near Supersonic. Supersonic is the speed for Itachi that most people agree on. After that, it made me wonder how accurate all the other assumed speeds for characters really were. These days, I rarely see a speed calculation. People seem to be just getting into it now.

Shikamaru Nara
06-11-2010, 07:04 PM
It's hyped that he's about hypersonic. But I'd say he's actually just high supersonic.

321zigzag2
06-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Most fan calculations are null and void because they are purely subjective.

Kunoichi
06-11-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm into speed calculations now because I recently calculated an Itachi speed feat at 9 MPH, which is nowhere near Supersonic. Supersonic is the speed for Itachi that most people agree on. After that, it made me wonder how accurate all the other assumed speeds for characters really were. These days, I rarely see a speed calculation. People seem to be just getting into it now.

how did you calculate for Itachi?

colorles
06-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Most fan calculations are null and void because they are purely subjective.

my old physics teacher was litterally a 'rocket scientist' in the Soviet Union before he moved to America in 1997 (i'm not joking). maybe i could get him to do some calculations:ugeek:

deidara330
06-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Most fan calculations are null and void because they are purely subjective.What do you mean by that?how did you calculate for Itachi?I used Sasuke's height and scaled it to a specific panel, used the scale to measure the distance that Itachi traveled, and estimated how long it took Itachi to travel that distance. I made the proper conversions from centimeters to meters to miles and from my estimated length of travel to hours and wound up with 9 Miles Per Hour. Would you like me to give the panel, the scale, and all the other numbers?

Rikudo Sennin
06-11-2010, 07:15 PM
I think its around Mach 5 - Mach 6

BTW, you posted in the wrong section.
I think this should fit in "Character Talk"

321zigzag2
06-11-2010, 07:18 PM
What do you mean by that?

It means that its merely our opinions that are not necessarily reflected by the manga writer. I mean does the manga write take in considerations of what you did?

Not really.

Otherwise you have massive inconsistencies at times which is why fan calculations must be treated with extra caution.

deidara330
06-11-2010, 07:23 PM
It means that its merely our opinions that are not necessarily reflected by the manga writer. I mean does the manga write take in considerations of what you did?

Not really.

Otherwise you have massive inconsistencies at times which is why fan calculations must be treated with extra caution.I realize that calculations can have massive inconsistencies. I've realized this for a while now. I generally only use the fastest calculations that I can get, because even if other calculations arrive at a slower speed, the highest definitive speed feat is the highest speed that character can move at. And debating is all relative to the information presented and whether or not the opponent decides that this means the opposing character will win. Since the fights aren't actually presented in any form, we can never know who won, and even when it is presented, there can be certain factors of the fight that don't allow a character to fight at their full potential. So in general, I would just take the best feat I can get, since it's all about convincing people that that guy is stronger than that other guy.

321zigzag2
06-11-2010, 07:32 PM
I realize that calculations can have massive inconsistencies. I've realized this for a while now. I generally only use the fastest calculations that I can get, because even if other calculations arrive at a slower speed, the highest definitive speed feat is the highest speed that character can move at. And debating is all relative to the information presented and whether or not the opponent decides that this means the opposing character will win. Since the fights aren't actually presented in any form, we can never know who won, and even when it is presented, there can be certain factors of the fight that don't allow a character to fight at their full potential. So in general, I would just take the best feat I can get, since it's all about convincing people that that guy is stronger than that other guy.

Well thats great you realize the limitations so unless Kishimoto says something most fan calculations are really subjective although KB mountain speed calc is forgivable.

Anyway even obders know that making calculations can be retared yet they do it anyway. Just like how we like to spend our time debating on which fictional characters win. :ugeek:

Kunoichi
06-11-2010, 07:55 PM
What do you mean by that?I used Sasuke's height and scaled it to a specific panel, used the scale to measure the distance that Itachi traveled, and estimated how long it took Itachi to travel that distance. I made the proper conversions from centimeters to meters to miles and from my estimated length of travel to hours and wound up with 9 Miles Per Hour. Would you like me to give the panel, the scale, and all the other numbers?
actually... yeah, that would be really cool. I'm impressed you went to that much work.

deidara330
06-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Well thats great you realize the limitations so unless Kishimoto says something most fan calculations are really subjective although KB mountain speed calc is forgivable.

Anyway even obders know that making calculations can be retared yet they do it anyway. Just like how we like to spend our time debating on which fictional characters win. :ugeek:Yeah, I'm just bored.actually... yeah, that would be really cool. I'm impressed you went to that much work.It's not much. Anyone with a middle school education could do the math. I used Itachi's speed feat from Chapter 383 Pages 15-17. To judge the distance, I measured Sasuke as 15/16 of an inch high in the panel on Page 15, and scaled that to his height of 158 centimeters (which I obtained from the Naruto Wikia). Then I measured that Itachi and Sasuke were 2 1/4 inches away in that panel, and did 2 1/4 divided by 15/16 to get the number of 15/16 measurements in the distance. I got 2.4. I multiplied that by Sasuke's height of 158 centimeters and then got 403.2 centimeters, or 4.032 meters. I assume that the time it takes to go from one panel to another is one second, and so I multiplied 4.032 meters by 3600 to get the number of meters Itachi could travel per hour by that feat alone. I got 14515.2. I converted it to miles and got around 9 Miles. So, that speed feat says Itachi can move at 9MPH. Considering how often people throw out Supersonic and Hypersonic speeds in debates, I find it hard to believe that any feat of Itachi's could be 9 MPH. However, I couldn't find a good panel to scale distance.

Miles Edgeworth
06-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I'm just bored.It's not much. Anyone with a middle school education could do the math. I used Itachi's speed feat from Chapter 383 Pages 15-17. To judge the distance, I measured Sasuke as 15/16 of an inch high in the panel on Page 15, and scaled that to his height of 158 centimeters (which I obtained from the Naruto Wikia). Then I measured that Itachi and Sasuke were 2 1/4 inches away in that panel, and did 2 1/4 divided by 15/16 to get the number of 15/16 measurements in the distance. I got 2.4. I multiplied that by Sasuke's height of 158 centimeters and then got 403.2 centimeters, or 4.032 meters. I assume that the time it takes to go from one panel to another is one second, and so I multiplied 4.032 meters by 3600 to get the number of meters Itachi could travel per hour by that feat alone. I got 14515.2. I converted it to miles and got around 9 Miles. So, that speed feat says Itachi can move at 9MPH. Considering how often people throw out Supersonic and Hypersonic speeds in debates, I find it hard to believe that any feat of Itachi's could be 9 MPH. However, I couldn't find a good panel to scale distance.

The bolded part is where the inconsistency comes in. When the whole Pain five second cooldown thing came into the story, I'm pretty sure more than just one panel took up one second. It's a bit hard to judge the exact time frame because it's a manga though, and since I'm not good with calcs (or too lazy) I can't judge for sure.

deidara330
06-12-2010, 12:57 PM
The bolded part is where the inconsistency comes in. When the whole Pain five second cooldown thing came into the story, I'm pretty sure more than just one panel took up one second. It's a bit hard to judge the exact time frame because it's a manga though, and since I'm not good with calcs (or too lazy) I can't judge for sure.Well, I just assume one second since most people I know of can't talk entire paragraphs in a fraction of a second, and if they do, I don't think that the other person can understand them. Then if even that happens, the entire world of the manga would have to have a sense of slowed down time, completely different from our universe, and if that were true, then I don't know crap anymore. (Edit: Wait, that kinda makes sense.) I just pick one second, since it has the most reasonable and realistic results, and since it gives me a single unit of time to go by (one second). Even if it were a tenth of a second, it would still only make the feat 90 MPH, which I don't think makes Supersonic IIRC. And even disregarding everything I just said, anything moving at Supersonic speed would make a sonic boom, and in most manga I've ever read, this is rarely the case. It this case, it would be most logical to conclude that hardly anything or anyone in a manga can truly move at speeds as high as Supersonic or Hypersonic.

Miles Edgeworth
06-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Well, I just assume one second since most people I know of can't talk entire paragraphs in a fraction of a second, and if they do, I don't think that the other person can understand them. Then if even that happens, the entire world of the manga would have to have a sense of slowed down time, completely different from our universe, and if that were true, then I don't know crap anymore. (Edit: Wait, that kinda makes sense.) I just pick one second, since it has the most reasonable and realistic results, and since it gives me a single unit of time to go by (one second). Even if it were a tenth of a second, it would still only make the feat 90 MPH, which I don't think makes Supersonic IIRC. And even disregarding everything I just said, anything moving at Supersonic speed would make a sonic boom, and in most manga I've ever read, this is rarely the case. It which case, it would be most logical to conclude that hardly anything or anyone in a manga can truly moves at speeds as high as Supersonic or Hypersonic.

And this is where we think and realize it is a fictional universe =P

Well that page didn't exactly show Itachi's best speed, even if it was 90 MPH it wouldn't really matter since Itachi really didn't do that much.

Itachi's best speed showings are generally related to reaction, as Sharingan users have better reaction speeds than movement speeds.

deidara330
06-12-2010, 01:19 PM
And this is where we think and realize it is a fictional universe =P

Well that page didn't exactly show Itachi's best speed, even if it was 90 MPH it wouldn't really matter since Itachi really didn't do that much.

Itachi's best speed showings are generally related to reaction, as Sharingan users have better reaction speeds than movement speeds.Well, reacting to something and dodging it are two different things. You can dodge something that's moving faster than you if you react to it while it's still far away enough to dodge. I don't see some people getting the idea that when someone dodges a characters attack, it makes them as fast, if not faster, than their attack.