PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: Regarding the New Forum

Kakuheiki
06-08-2009, 07:57 PM
My opinion on this new forum. It's absolutely DREADFUL. You need to post more than 15 posts to send PMs??!?!?!?! WHAT??? Who suggested THAT rule? I didn't know that we now have a privilege system where you get to send PMs if you post a lot of stuff. PMing should be a RIGHT, not a privilege.

Also, fanfiction is ILLEGAL?? "Due to legal issues". Huh?? If fanfiction is basically illegal, why isn't fanfiction.net taken down? And roleplaying is as well if you play a canon character? O.o

I apologize admins and mods, but the way things are set up have gone down the flusher...:evil:

<Aurega?>
06-09-2009, 04:44 AM
I don't know about the post count for PM thingie, but I think that's in place to prevent automated bots, random flamers etc from spamming the people on this forum too much.

However:

Also, fanfiction is ILLEGAL?? "Due to legal issues". Huh?? If fanfiction is basically illegal, why isn't fanfiction.net taken down? And roleplaying is as well if you play a canon character? O.o

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but my understanding is that due to Viz actually being a company that licences the rights to naruto, they cannot allow any fanfictions on these official forums. In essence, fanfictions are illegal, but most companies turn a blind eye on them, since they are usually beneficial to the community. However, if Viz were to allow them, it COULD lead to potential lawsuits toward them and thus, they are forced to ban them to be on the safe side.

Most of the content fanfiction.net is technically illegal, but since they operate on a non-commercial basis, and they actually do something productive, no one bothers with them.

I disagree with the fanficts parts as well, but unless the current copyright laws are rewritten, there isn't anything the mods can do about it. Blame the stupid US laws if anything, not the mods.

-Aurega

Sage Mode
06-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Who do you want to PM without getting to know anyone in the first place on the forums? I don't think it's that dreadful of a requirement. You can always PM me and I'll talk to you :D

The fanfiction thing is nothing new. It's always been a rule from day one. And we've actually been pretty lenient on the issue. If you want, you can write stories on here as long as they have nothing to do with the actual Naruto characters and plot.

Toma RNK
06-09-2009, 10:37 AM
PMing should be a RIGHT, not a privilege.

Be thankful I am not in charge here, cause I would ban you in a second for a comment like that.

EVERYTHING on this site is a privilege. Viz pays to have these forums up. Viz employs the mods to keep this place running. You agree to the terms of service when you sign up. You have no rights, only the privileges granted you.

As to the fanfiction thing, you obviously are ignorant of the law. Fanfic, AMVs, and everything IS ILLEGAL. It's stupid, but that's how the law is written.

The way copyright law works viz will have 2 choices:

1: Allow fan made art to exist, allowing fans to make their own stuff. In this option viz looses the right to enforce ANY copyright claims as it is all or nothing. That would mean tomorrow I could put all of viz's english dubbed anime on youtube and they couldn't LEGALLY do anything.

If this happened japanese companies would stop selling series to viz and the company would die.

2: Viz would have to send cease and desist letters to EVERYONE who did anything fanmade. This would be stupid as they would be attacking their own fans for a stupid legal reason.

Pretty bad choices huh? So instead of taking a stance viz is going with the:

"Huh?! What fanart?! I don't see any *closes eyes*"

If people could upload their own stuff viz would have to choose. And no one would win.

People like you, all full of anger, making demands when you have no right to, so ignorant you have no idea about the underlying factors at work are what makes this world so tough to live in. You sit by idly while good people and companies try to change these laws. Then you get angry and yell at these same people for adhering to the laws they are trying to change. I am ashamed of you if you aren't ashamed of yourself.

People like you drain the energy out of those people trying to do right, and to no good end but to hear yourself whine.

It is definitely time for me to take a vacation. I might start getting mean soon.

Nine
06-09-2009, 10:46 AM
stop complaining

Sensei : Riku Arashi
06-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Be thankful I am not in charge here, cause I would ban you in a second for a comment like that.

EVERYTHING on this site is a privilege. Viz pays to have these forums up. Viz employs the mods to keep this place running. You agree to the terms of service when you sign up. You have no rights, only the privileges granted you.

As to the fanfiction thing, you obviously are ignorant of the law. Fanfic, AMVs, and everything IS ILLEGAL. It's stupid, but that's how the law is written.

1: Allow fan made art to exist, allowing fans to make their own stuff. In this option viz looses the right to enforce ANY copyright claims as it is all or nothing. That would mean tomorrow I could put all of viz's english dubbed anime on youtube and they couldn't LEGALLY do anything.

If this happened japanese companies would stop selling series to viz and the company would die.

2: Viz would have to send cease and desist letters to EVERYONE who did anything fanmade. This would be stupid as they would be attacking their own fans for a stupid legal reason.

If people could upload their own stuff viz would have to choose. And no one would win.

People like you, all full of anger, making demands when you have no right to, so ignorant you have no idea about the underlying factors at work are what is killing america. You sit by idly while good people and companies try to hange these laws. Then you get angry and yell at these same people for adhering to the laws they are trying to change. I am ashamed of you if you aren't ashamed of yourself.

People like you drain the energy out of those people trying to do right, and to no good end but to hear yourself whine.

It is definately time for me to take a vacation. I might start getting mean soon.

wow well said

Toma RNK
06-09-2009, 10:48 AM
stop complaining
Yeah that says it just about as well as i did... and in many less words.

Boku
06-09-2009, 10:50 AM

People like you, all full of anger, making demands when you have no right to, so ignorant you have no idea about the underlying factors at work are what makes this world so tough to live in. You sit by idly while good people and companies try to change these laws. Then you get angry and yell at these same people for adhering to the laws they are trying to change. I am ashamed of you if you aren't ashamed of yourself.

It is definitely time for me to take a vacation. I might start getting mean soon.

hey bud you can go on vacation now, ill hold the fort for ya.

Yoruichi
06-09-2009, 10:53 AM
What's fan fiction?

Konoha'sGreenThunder
06-09-2009, 10:55 AM
This is a fail thread. If you don't like it, you don't have to be here. You honestly think anything on this forum is your right?

Sometimes people just make you slam you head on the desk. -headdesk-

Fanfiction is-just look at Toma's definition, he said it better than I did. ;P

Toma RNK
06-09-2009, 10:56 AM
What's fan fiction?
Fan fiction (alternately referred to as fanfiction, fanfic, FF, or fic) is a broadly-defined term used to describe stories about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, rather than by the original creator. Works of fan fiction are rarely commissioned or authorized by the original work's owner, creator, or publisher; also, they are almost never professionally published. Fan fiction, therefore, is defined by being both related to its subject's canonical fictional universe and simultaneously existing outside the canon of that universe. Most fan fiction writers assume that their work is read primarily by other fans, and therefore tend to presume that their readers have knowledge of the canon universe (created by a professional writer) in which their works are based.

In shorter words, if you wrote a story about naruto, that would be fanfiction. You could not post it here.

Yoruichi
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Fan fiction (alternately referred to as fanfiction, fanfic, FF, or fic) is a broadly-defined term used to describe stories about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, rather than by the original creator. Works of fan fiction are rarely commissioned or authorized by the original work's owner, creator, or publisher; also, they are almost never professionally published. Fan fiction, therefore, is defined by being both related to its subject's canonical fictional universe and simultaneously existing outside the canon of that universe. Most fan fiction writers assume that their work is read primarily by other fans, and therefore tend to presume that their readers have knowledge of the canon universe (created by a professional writer) in which their works are based.

In shorter words, if you wrote a story about naruto, that would be fanfiction. You could not post it here.

Oh I get it now :D

Toma RNK
06-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Oh I get it now :D
Glad to be of help.

Vidda Hatake
06-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Well said, everyone! Sorry 'someone' doesn't like our wonderful forum, but you can't please everyone all the time. That's life.

The only 'good' thing about this topic is Toma RNK's definition of Fanfiction. Too bad we can't just have this topic 'deleted'... (shakes head and sighs 'what a waste')

jounin
06-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I like the new forum

Toma RNK
06-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Well said, everyone! Sorry 'someone' doesn't like our wonderful forum, but you can't please everyone all the time. That's life.

The only 'good' thing about this topic is Toma RNK's definition of Fanfiction. Too bad we can't just have this topic 'deleted'... (shakes head and sighs 'what a waste')

Half of my "explanations" are just wikipedia.

Vidda Hatake
06-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Half of my "explanations" are just wikipedia.

Yeah, but it's the 'other half' that we need just as much!! Thanks for all your help everywhere, Toma RNK! ;)

Tracer
06-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Wow Toma you joined the RANT for a Reason club! yay im not the only one! anymore I am sooo proud! *flicks water in his face so he looks like he is crying*

Luna Mikazuki
06-09-2009, 05:25 PM
What Toma said is so true.

The only fan fiction I do I keep in my head for safe keeping lol

So I only ever daydream *goes into daydream*

Being here is a privelige, so I am grateful.

Cade
06-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I kinda like the old one better because our post is being taking away,but I get that.Fan Fiction is not allowed due to legal issues.

SRhyse
06-10-2009, 04:07 PM
We didn't change the site rules in any way, shape or form in the transition to the new forum. One thing that I did change, however, is that users are required to read the forum rules to post on the site.

That was probably the first time alot of our users had read the rules, but they've been here longer than the forum itself :lol:.

deidara330
06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
You? Mean? I couldn't imagine it. Well-written post, though.

itachiuchiha85
06-10-2009, 04:13 PM
srhyse when are you bringing back the missed and loved "view your posts" button?

SRhyse
06-10-2009, 04:20 PM
srhyse when are you bringing back the missed and loved "view your posts" button?
Once I iron out the other things, like the 1000s of threads in need of moving and editing.

It'll be back though, don't worry. Hopefully by next week, but no promises.