PDA

View Full Version : Losing touch with the "Little" people.

TheBlackChidori
04-04-2010, 04:40 AM
One thing about the last 200 or so chapters that I don't like. Remember how in the beginning of the series, Kishi often focused on giving almost every character in Naruto a piece of the spotlight?

People like Rock Lee became household names in the Naruto universe, often getting 2-3 episodes in a row, just of themselves. He built up the stories of every semi-major character in naruto, most notably during the Chunin Exams.

ESPECIALLY the villains. Almost every opponent that Naruto and his team had to overcome, had a backstory explained, sometimes in great detail. Examples being Neji, Gaara, Sakura/Ino, Itachi, Orochimaru, Zabuza and Haku....

Then came Shippuden. Sasori had a few lines about his lineage. Deidara got one backflash where Itachi whooped him without moving. Kakuzy-face, nothing. Hidan, nothing. Kisame, nothing. Now these are not major villains to the series itself, but to the chapters they were in, they were very major. Even if a villain was only around 3 episodes in the Pre-Ship days, they had some story explained.

Even people not classified as villains, Juugo, Suigetsu, Karin(who finally had one scene of her past, meeting sasuke). Killer Bee, the other Kages, need I go on?

Pain was the only new character we really got deep insight with. Itachi as well, but he was already a major part of the series. Madara... his mystery adds to his mystique, so he's ok.

But still, does anyone catch my drift here? And the characters that were once important, are now just completely useless.

They built up Sai and Yamato so much, to just completely drop all their major involvement in the series. Yamato especially... I was extremely interested in his back story, and after the first encounter with Sasuke in Shippuden, he just became Kakashi's backup. H8.

Rock Lee doesn't do a damn thing anymore, except get knocked out by Sakura.

Same for Kiba. Used his nose a couple times.

Ino suddenly became a medical ninja, basically making her into Sakura's double, something she was ABSOLUTELY NOT during the Chunin Exams, Lazy move Kishi.

Shino helped scent somebody out.....that's about it.

Hinata wasn't at all in the last 250 chapters, and suddenly came out of nowhere to confess her love to Naruto, in a manner that seems totally insignificant since Naruto still hasn't once acknowledged she exists since then. Perhaps a little build up first, or even some closing, kishi?

Guy got some time in the Kisame fight, fell off the face of the earth.

Neji... we all love Neji. Neji doesn't exist.

Really, the ONLY of the rookie 9, or even of all the semi-major characters from original series, to have an important role in this juncture, is Shikamaru. I'm glad for that, at least.

Well... you guys get my point. Am I alone here in noticing this, and not liking it?

I love Sasuke, I do... but even I'M sick of Sasuke at this point.

I am now changing the name of the anime to Sasuke Shippuden.

Akatsuki Gord
04-04-2010, 04:44 AM
i agree with all of this. i miss rock lee the most

hopefully with the war coming up we will see a lot more of the original konoha genin

darkjam
04-04-2010, 04:51 AM
Totally agree, but at least the war is coming up, so hopefully it won't revolve around Sasuke anymore >.>

ベーゼル
04-04-2010, 05:12 AM
It's not only those fact that pulls away people from being interested or wanting to stay to watch naruto or naruto shippuuden still. It's the fact that Naruto and Naruto shippuuden has been a lot of filler and the fact that it is an old anime now.

It's true too, that Sasuke and Naruto is mostly getting mainly the attention over the series. It's mainly involving Sasuke as a villian. I do too believe that Kishimoto will end the Naruto series soon since Kishimoto hasn't created new villain characters in Naruto shippuuden yet. Therefore, I have a feeling he may be ending Naruto series soon. Sad but story is getting a bit boring for people, and kishmoto may be tired or have lost ideas to continue on his Naruto series.

Maikeru D. Shinigami
04-04-2010, 05:15 AM
It's not only those fact that pulls away people from being interested or wanting to stay to watch naruto or naruto shippuuden still. It's the fact that Naruto and Naruto shippuuden has been a lot of filler and the fact that it is an old anime now.

It's true too, that Sasuke and Naruto is mostly getting mainly the attention over the series. It's mainly involving Sasuke as a villian. I do too believe that Kishimoto will end the Naruto series soon since Kishimoto hasn't created new villain characters in Naruto shippuuden yet. Therefore, I have a feeling he may be ending Naruto series soon. Sad but story is getting a bit boring for people, and kishmoto may be tired or have lost ideas to continue on his Naruto series.

About ending it soon, yeah not going to happen. Kishi himself said there's still a lot of story to tell and that if he needs two years to do it, he will do it. But, he needs to start giving his characters screen time.

ベーゼル
04-04-2010, 05:21 AM
About ending it soon, yeah not going to happen. Kishi himself said there's still a lot of story to tell and that if he needs two years to do it, he will do it. But, he needs to start giving his characters screen time.
Oh really. Well let hope and see if kishimoto will be able to pull it all together. From my look of it now, it looks like it's about to end. Since most Akatsuki died and Orochimaru.

mrsticky005
04-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Hopefully if a war it will be an excuse for Kishimoto to have guys like Rock Lee fight again.

Hidden Ninja45
04-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I agree completely. I really want to see some of the other characters have some screen time. I was hoping that Kiba and Lee would get some screen time after they joined up with Sakura, but she just used those whatever they are and made they fall asleep. Naruto and Sasuke has been hogging all the screen time.

Ellie
04-04-2010, 12:29 PM
I totally agree with you TheBlackChidori especially with the ino suddenly became a medical ninja thing, i hope kish starts giving the older characters some spotlight most of them are my favorites, anko might be getting some spotlight soon if she doesnt so help me kish`#(
BTW- Ankos meant to be kish favorite character or girl character and if she doesnt get no spotlight then he's just stubid

Dboe20
04-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Hopefully maybe kishi has been holding of the characters for the war so we can see some hella awsome fights with move we havnt seen yet?????

deidara330
04-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Theory; We get Akatsuki backstories and other characters backstories during the war. Suigetsu and Jugo have been captured, I bet we'll get something from them eventually. Kisame hasn't died in a long time, if he doesn't get a backstory I'll be shocked. Deidara will probably attack his own village, I wouldn't be surprised to get a backstory for both him and one of Onoki's bodyguards. And a good fight, too. Kabuto is now one of the major villains of the series, and the major villains always get some type of backstory.

katsu uchiha
04-04-2010, 01:53 PM
I agree that those characters don`t get enough screentime. I also agree that all its been about is naruto and sasuke. Its like kishi doesn`t care for the other characters that haven`t gotten much or no screentime at all. I hope we get to see a lot more of them in the upcoming war.

JC.
04-04-2010, 02:03 PM
There's too many new characters now, old ones a rejected and new ones like killer Bee's students pop out of nowhere then characters we didn't know exist make an alliance and a war starts.

NarutoBelieves
04-04-2010, 02:30 PM
Because in the beginning the story was not developed so it was more like a soap opera with fillers. Sure side characters are important but at this stage I really can not care less about reading one of them's background. I am really happy that Naruto did not turned into a filler fest like Bleach...

At this stage of the story it is better to see main story related events rahter then side stories. I'm enjoying Naruto much more for the last year and I think it is going to end in a year or so.

NagatoGod_of_Pain
04-04-2010, 02:46 PM
These characters are too liked to be discarded just like that. I know Shippuden is supposed to revolve around the relationship between Naruto and Sasuke, but all the minor characters have too big of a fan base.

Dboe20
04-04-2010, 03:37 PM
These characters are too liked to be discarded just like that. I know Shippuden is supposed to revolve around the relationship between Naruto and Sasuke, but all the minor characters have too big of a fan base.

And personally am getting tired of broke back konoha. Naruto needs to kill sasuke and stoip winning about some1 who has tried to kill him atleast 3 times

makaveli575
04-04-2010, 06:15 PM
I have to disagree, what we have to remember is the story is based around Naruto and his life and for the most part those side characters aren't in his life. Lets not forget to mention that with a story like Naruto there are sooooo many characters coming and going and to build on them would take forever and only lead Kishi away from the original storyline which if you were to ask pretty much any serious writer it's the worst possible thing you could do.

Lets look back to the end of the original Naruto anime it was pretty much all about building up those "side" characters and all anybody did was whine about fillers so either way it's a lose-lose for Kishi. I know A LOT of people love those side characters more so then they love the main characters but at the end of the day that doesn't really matter, they are SIDE characters for a reason and should stay as such.

crystalblade13
04-04-2010, 06:30 PM
One thing about the last 200 or so chapters that I don't like. Remember how in the beginning of the series, Kishi often focused on giving almost every character in Naruto a piece of the spotlight?

People like Rock Lee became household names in the Naruto universe, often getting 2-3 episodes in a row, just of themselves. He built up the stories of every semi-major character in naruto, most notably during the Chunin Exams.

ESPECIALLY the villains. Almost every opponent that Naruto and his team had to overcome, had a backstory explained, sometimes in great detail. Examples being Neji, Gaara, Sakura/Ino, Itachi, Orochimaru, Zabuza and Haku....

Then came Shippuden. Sasori had a few lines about his lineage. Deidara got one backflash where Itachi whooped him without moving. Kakuzy-face, nothing. Hidan, nothing. Kisame, nothing. Now these are not major villains to the series itself, but to the chapters they were in, they were very major. Even if a villain was only around 3 episodes in the Pre-Ship days, they had some story explained.

Even people not classified as villains, Juugo, Suigetsu, Karin(who finally had one scene of her past, meeting sasuke). Killer Bee, the other Kages, need I go on?

Pain was the only new character we really got deep insight with. Itachi as well, but he was already a major part of the series. Madara... his mystery adds to his mystique, so he's ok.

But still, does anyone catch my drift here? And the characters that were once important, are now just completely useless.

They built up Sai and Yamato so much, to just completely drop all their major involvement in the series. Yamato especially... I was extremely interested in his back story, and after the first encounter with Sasuke in Shippuden, he just became Kakashi's backup. H8.

Rock Lee doesn't do a damn thing anymore, except get knocked out by Sakura.

Same for Kiba. Used his nose a couple times.

Ino suddenly became a medical ninja, basically making her into Sakura's double, something she was ABSOLUTELY NOT during the Chunin Exams, Lazy move Kishi.

Shino helped scent somebody out.....that's about it.

Hinata wasn't at all in the last 250 chapters, and suddenly came out of nowhere to confess her love to Naruto, in a manner that seems totally insignificant since Naruto still hasn't once acknowledged she exists since then. Perhaps a little build up first, or even some closing, kishi?

Guy got some time in the Kisame fight, fell off the face of the earth.

Neji... we all love Neji. Neji doesn't exist.

Really, the ONLY of the rookie 9, or even of all the semi-major characters from original series, to have an important role in this juncture, is Shikamaru. I'm glad for that, at least.

Well... you guys get my point. Am I alone here in noticing this, and not liking it?

I love Sasuke, I do... but even I'M sick of Sasuke at this point.

I am now changing the name of the anime to Sasuke Shippuden.

i agree with what you say but i must point out that shino has fought madara a little and choji has got a good amount of fighting. i still want yamato and sai to do something as well, like fight, since they've had very little in the way of that.(although more than other old characters). now that the wars about to start and the akatsukis ressurected it would be a good time to resolve a few of these problems. i also think sai and yamato should get some kind of arc to themselves before the war starts though.

Vatanui AKA Pride
04-04-2010, 07:00 PM
i agree with what you say but i must point out that shino has fought madara a little and choji has got a good amount of fighting. i still want yamato and sai to do something as well, like fight, since they've had very little in the way of that.(although more than other old characters). now that the wars about to start and the akatsukis ressurected it would be a good time to resolve a few of these problems. i also think sai and yamato should get some kind of arc to themselves before the war starts though.

1. Whhaaaa? Shino fought Madara?
2. Whhaaaa? Choji was in a fight?
3. Depends.
4. Not possible with the author as Kishi and Sasuke still alive. Kill Sasuke and then get Kishi a few counseling for a few weeks by a therapist, and no more Sasuke Shippuden.

crystalblade13
04-04-2010, 07:05 PM
shino fought madara during the sasuke itachi arc and trapped him with ninja art: beetle sphere although madara teleported.

choji fought against sai, against kakuzu, and against pain with kakashi - he also displayed quite a few new tricks in these fights such as the ability to do spikey human boulder with his hair.

who knows, kishi may come to his senses with the side characters

RockyL
04-04-2010, 09:11 PM
I think when the war starts Kishi should do something like the chunin exams, where each character gets a fight. We even saw a glimmer of TenTens abilities during the chunin exam arc and it would be so awesome if each of the rookie 9 and maybe Yamato and Sai. Who I really want to see have a personal fight is Choji, Lee, TenTen, Ino(i really want to she what she can do, if anything), Kankuro, and Shino.

Looney-Lyra
04-04-2010, 09:42 PM
/Agrees with this 100%.
I used to love Sasuke too, but now... Now he kind of makes me want to cry in a corner. -.-""""
But I wish Kishi would do more with Sai. He's such an interesting (and frankly, adoreable xD) character. :3 Sai Shippuden... If only. xDDDDD

puppetmasterpossession
04-04-2010, 10:12 PM
tenten has a huge fight and shows what kishi wanted her to be in the first place.

then lee comes and is awesome and kicks someones but .. maybe zetsu... can make multiples get where i'm going..

neji gets some awesome new technique that can find sasuke.

shino gets the microscopic bugs and kills someone,diedara possibly,he used C4 on sasuke that did the same thing.

hinata finds kakazu for someone and then kills one of his hearts

kiba gets something maybe another dog... maybe just another tech... but he kills someone awesome

shikamaru- has had enough he already killed an akasuki...as much as i love you...really give someone else the spotlight

ino-medic??? are you serious...sakura is useless without medical ninjutsu.. ino has an awesome move so idk but stop this maddness

Choji- he never had enough time in the 1st in my opinion but he need to use butter fly bomb again and kick so butt

really get over sasuke just let him do what he wants in secret for a while...REALLY!!

also good idea naruto gets auto ranked to genin for going on some mission and then.....jounin exams!! but for the already jounin they have to fight the people trying to be jounin in the end.. or something like that..

FujimotoErin
04-04-2010, 10:40 PM
It has become like Sasuke Shippuden.
20 chapters of Sasuke.
FINALLY a chapter with Naruto in it.
Next chapter, Sasuke.
WT'F.
He's had his screen time.
Give someone else a chance. Sheesh.

Narutorious
04-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Naruto, Sasuke, & Sakura are the only ones important to the story, that's why their main characters. Such as people like Ino, she was only in the story to boost of Sakura, and Lee & Neji was only meant to boost up Naruto & Sasuke. Sai only has a role because he's Sasuke's replacement & Shikamaru has a role because he's one of Kishi's favorite.

NarutoBelieves
04-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Naruto, Sasuke, & Sakura are the only ones important to the story, that's why their main characters. Such as people like Ino, she was only in the story to boost of Sakura, and Lee & Neji was only meant to boost up Naruto & Sasuke. Sai only has a role because he's Sasuke's replacement & Shikamaru has a role because he's one of Kishi's favorite.

Sasuke and Naruto are the main characters, and I aggree the rest except Sakura. She is important but not nearly as much as the two, she is more like one of the second tier important characters like Kakashi.

Reala
04-05-2010, 06:10 AM
I think as the war begins to be put into action, other background characters will begin to surface again.

tyler
04-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Think about this guys....if Kishi spent half of the time developing the side characters then we wouldnt be this far into the main story line. Another thing, if Kishi has shown us all of the side characters abilities already then the upcoming war will be boring since we've already seen everyone's new tricks. It's better this way because it is going to make the war so much cooler.

We've all seen Sasuke and what he can do...but is there any way to defeat him? Other than Naruto who can stand up to him? It's going to make for an interesting war because you know all of the side characters are going to find a way to fight Sasuke and keep Naruto out of it. Once they realize they can't beat him, they will have to rely on Naruto. If we've already seen what they can do, then it will be a boring year.

ByakuganAlex
04-05-2010, 02:19 PM
:cry: I want to see Neji in a fight again.
Or at least see some Hyuga fight (excluding Hinata she isn't worth the Hyuga blood)

Narutorious
04-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Sasuke and Naruto are the main characters, and I aggree the rest except Sakura. She is important but not nearly as much as the two, she is more like one of the second tier important characters like Kakashi.

Even though her role isn't as great as Sasuke & especially Naruto, Sakura is still consider a main character. The main characters are only Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, and Kakashi, everyone else are side characters or supporting characters, with Naruto being the protagonist, and Akatsuki being the antagonist.

Kisame
04-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Honestly, Kishi doesn't really care about side characters anymore. Even Shikamaru's moment in the ime light was so he could relate to Naruto in a future arc and they won't really contribute like anything to the plot. At this point seeing them would be more boring then not if their not villains.

SRhyse
04-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I think it's largely a result of Kishi drowning himself in the shear number of side characters he created, in some cases haphazardly. When it was mostly just Konoha, it's easy to keep up with all the back stories and relations, but when you open it up as much as Shippuden did, that's a giant writing burden to bear when each chapter would potentially be about an entirely new universe of characters within all the different factions and villages at play in the story.

At this point in the series it all kind of feels like one damn thing after another to me, so I while I miss the humble days of Naruto, I don't think it's because of the larger scope found in Shippuden. I think it's because he sort of drew himself out of creative ink, and now we're stuck with a buncha of similarly shallow characters playing tag with ninja stars. :lol:

assassin
04-05-2010, 03:36 PM
this is a very good point what is wrong with you Kishi?

Hidden in the Ether
04-05-2010, 09:14 PM
i think hes just still in the middle of telling a story.

im sure the side characters will have a chance to fight in the upcoming war. its a plot device to get everyone involved.

its funny how people complain about this but when fillers come around about side characters they complain about that. `:shock:

but i agree with you guys. i would like to see more of the supporting cast too... shikamaru is dope but hes had enough screen time.. i would like to see neji, sai, tsunade, ino, lee and... i guess hinata too, i kinda like her for some reason.. `:)

at the end of the day.. they are all still side characters. writers cant waste time with them if they are not vital to the forward movement of the plot.

maybe after the series ends, kishi can go back and make separate spin-off projects for all of his side characters. thats what i would do if i was him. `:))

mrsticky005
04-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I think it's largely a result of Kishi drowning himself in the shear number of side characters he created, in some cases haphazardly. When it was mostly just Konoha, it's easy to keep up with all the back stories and relations, but when you open it up as much as Shippuden did, that's a giant writing burden to bear when each chapter would potentially be about an entirely new universe of characters within all the different factions and villages at play in the story.

At this point in the series it all kind of feels like one damn thing after another to me, so I while I miss the humble days of Naruto, I don't think it's because of the larger scope found in Shippuden. I think it's because he sort of drew himself out of creative ink, and now we're stuck with a buncha of similarly shallow characters playing tag with ninja stars. :lol:

You used "shear" in your sentence when "sheer" was probably actually
the word that you were looking for. Shear means to cut as in shearing sheep of their wool. Sheer means to means to be completely as in
the sheer awesomeness of Might Guy and Rock Lee.

I don't mean to be a Grammar Nazi and I'm sure you intentionally
used the wrong word to provide us forumers with a lesson in the
English language. On behalf of the forumers I thank you for your
concern of our education and knowledge. You make your country proud.

Wooster
04-06-2010, 06:41 AM

I think you are right about the number of characters; there are too many.

Thus, I think Kishimoto has done the best that he can do in this situation. Just ignore characters that don't matter and kill off the rest and turn them into mindless zombies.

mrsticky005
04-06-2010, 07:33 AM
I think you are right about the number of characters; there are too many.

Thus, I think Kishimoto has done the best that he can do in this situation. Just ignore characters that don't matter and kill off the rest and turn them into mindless zombies.

If you think Naruto has too many characters try reading Monster or
anything by Naoki Urasawa. (It's from Viz so they should have it
the Viz Store.) I would provide a link but then it might contain
Viz related images on a Viz site and somehow that's against the rules.

But anywho, Monster has so many character that while other series
have a little list of characters with a picture and a short description.
Monster has a friggin' web diagram starting in Volume 11 and gets
infinitely more complex as the series goes on.

It's like

This is Kenzo Tenma...he meets this person who met that person
and who is related to this person who talks like this person who
plays baseball with this person who once winked at this person
who knows this person who is divorced to this person who knows Tenma...

And then ALL those people will matter to the story.

It's like even the garbage man will somehow obtain supreme importance.

Monster is one of those series that makes you think "it's a small world."

Wooster
04-06-2010, 07:44 AM
If you think Naruto has too many characters try reading Monster or
anything by Naoki Urasawa. (It's from Viz so they should have it
the Viz Store.) I would provide a link but then it might contain
Viz related images on a Viz site and somehow that's against the rules.

But anywho, Monster has so many character that while other series
have a little list of characters with a picture and a short description.
Monster has a friggin' web diagram starting in Volume 11 and gets
infinitely more complex as the series goes on.

It's like

This is Kenzo Tenma...he meets this person who met that person
and who is related to this person who talks like this person who
plays baseball with this person who once winked at this person
who knows this person who is divorced to this person who knows Tenma...

And then ALL those people will matter to the story.

It's like even the garbage man will somehow obtain supreme importance.

Monster is one of those series that makes you think "it's a small world."
So it's Bleak House or essentially any Charles Dickens in manga form?

"Oh, so the lawyer was his mother's cousin's father who accidently killed his brother's roomate's son. Now it all makes sense why he washing his hands all the time."

mrsticky005
04-06-2010, 08:06 AM
So it's Bleak House or essentially any Charles Dickens in manga form?

"Oh, so the lawyer was his mother's cousin's father who accidently killed his brother's roomate's son. Now it all makes sense why he washing his hands all the time."

Most likely yes. It reads more like classic literature than manga.
Though there's also an anime that you can watch of it.

C4 Karura
04-06-2010, 07:14 PM
This post puts perfectly what has been bothering me for so long. Thanks for this well-written, interesting post. Rep Up!
EDIT: Never mind, apparently I have to spread it around first.

Risa Ichigo-Chan
04-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I agree a 101%. I mean.. I'm always waiting for Shino and Hinata to come up, becuase I LOVE Shino.. he's like.. the best.. and Hinata is such a sweety. I mean.. Kishimoto just made Hinata smile as Sakura hugged Naruto when he defeated Pain and all that junk . She never talked to him again, so, either she dropped off the face of the earth like her sister and her cousion, Neji, or they all went out on a secret mission of epic propotions, and the next time skip shall be called "SEMI-IMPORTANT CHARACTERS OF NARUTO SHIPPUDEN SHIPPUDEN!". Which I highly doubt. (Oh damn.. run on sentence is a run on) 0_____e but yeah, I've noticed that to. I also noticed that, in the beginning, Kishimoto hardly focused on this SASUKAY UCHIHAW (spelled wrong on purpose) person thing and focused more on how mcuh Naruto's life sucked Kage balls. In all honestly, it SHOULD be called UCHIHA Shippuden.. because it's more about the Uchiha clan then Sasuke.. >__> or NARUTO for that matter.. >___>

mrsticky005
04-07-2010, 04:35 AM
Nevermind this post has become insignificant. :/

jwesterville
04-07-2010, 03:20 PM
I agree with this. It makes me think that Choji and Neji would have been better off dying in Part I, since they haven't contributed anything to the plot that someone else could have done.

But at the same time, there are just so many characters, so a lot of them do have to fall by the wayside. And with an impeding war, we may just see a lot of them in action. And maybe some of them will die. :cry: