PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: Visitor Messages

TannerB
06-06-2009, 12:21 AM
I don't see an option in the User CP for activating Visitor Messages, is there an option in the vB Admin panel for making it default for all users (I remember setting it like that on my forum, don't remember how)

Or is it deactivated intentionally?

SRhyse
06-06-2009, 10:06 AM
I have it deactivated right now because I don't think alot of our users would understand that visitor messages are viewable by everyone, as opposed to the private messaging they got used to. I do want to activate it, but I'm going to 'warn' people about it first, because most of them will think it's just another name for PMing.

I'd get thousands of panicky PMs about how someone 'haxed' their account and saw their PMs if I didn't.

Alot of the features that make vBulletin great are currently deactivated so I can ease users into them, and focus the tech support more during the initial stages of the transition. You really have to with an audience the size of ours, or everyone'll lose their damn minds.

Be sure to let me know if there's any other suggestions, questions or concerns about the transition we made, or the transition you're making on your forum.

Naruto
06-06-2009, 12:38 PM
True people would freak out and keep PMing you mods. Also you mods would either have to delete or reply to all the people that PMed you. Then lots of topics are made about that. It would become chaos.

SRhyse
06-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I do like the feature though, so I might decide to have it automatically enabled for users that have been on the forum awhile, and are smart enough to know. Or maybe for people on the War Council, or things similar. It's really a play-it-by-ear thing as to whether or not we'll use visitor messages.

Nice guitar, btw, TannerB.

Naruto
06-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Cool then nobody freaks out.

The 4th Hokage's Legacy
06-15-2009, 06:51 PM
That's kinda weird because I'm also on OMF and they have the visitor messages enabled and nobody complains or anything. It's just natural, but I think they've always had that feature activated.

<Aurega?>
06-16-2009, 01:32 AM
If i'm not mistaken, allowing visitor messages for all users will probably end up with a lot of public discussions going on there, and thereby, some (me!) might just start ignoring them altogether.

Oh for those of you who wonder, visitor messages are PMs that are readable for everyone. Very nice if you want to have a debate with someone, but want the public to be able to read it.

I wonder if we could actually do battles with visitor messages as it basically disables anyone else's ability to post when a battle is in progress, but everyone can view the battle. One problem with this is archiving the battles, as all the sites I've been on deletes visitor messages after you get x amount of them.

Now I'm not too familiar with vbulletin so my suggestions might just be really shitty. I've really only worked with php (since it's free).

-Aurega