PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: ImpEx Password Glitch

TannerB
06-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Apparently you guys got the same password glitch when using ImpEx to transfer from phpbb to vBulletin? Have you guys figured out a way around it yet? I've been running tests and all the methods I've tried haven't helped. Think it could be a problem with linking the SQL databases?

If you guys find a script or something to fix that, let me know.

SRhyse
06-05-2009, 04:44 PM
So you mean you had that problem on your forum, and wanna know if we can compare notes to help you out? I'll be glad to help if I can, as I know how frustrating having things like that not work out can be, as I just went through it ;).

And what makes you say we got the same glitch, if you don't mind my asking?

TannerB
06-05-2009, 11:50 PM
This is what I mean.

When using ImpEx, apparently the SQL for passwords isn't imported correctly for some and users need to reset their passwords in order to log in. Apparently when importing everything, the passwords are set to random lines of digits, meaning users can't log in. So in order for them to log in, they need to request a reset password (explaining the mass email you guys sent out after the switch from phpBB to vBulletin)

SRhyse
06-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Actually, it isn't that the SQL isn't being imported correctly, it's just that passwords don't really port 1-to-1 from phpBB to vBulletin for security and confidentiality reasons. I'm guessing those 'random' lines of digits are the old passwords in their encrypted form. If there are ways to get around this, it's the kind of thing where you'd technically be 'modding' ImpEx in a significant way that would technically violate user confidentiality, and might breed security problems in the future. So you're not really having an error or a bug, just a normal transition. I actually sent the mass email because I knew that was going to happen ahead of time, not because I biffed the transition.

Let me know if you think I'm wrong about this, or you've got any other questions at all about transitioning. I'm technically still in the thick of it right now, and would love to help in any way I can, because I know how balls it can be.

TannerB
06-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Sounds right to me. Hopefully JelSoft has noticed this error long before and is working on fixing the glitch.