PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Music Discussion

Space Cowboy Sasori
02-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Do you like Alternative music as much as I do, than Discuss!

What's your favorite band, I think I can guess Maik's already. xD

Wikipedia:
Alternative rock (also called alternative music, alt-rock or simply alternative) is a genre of rock music that emerged in the 1980s and became widely popular in the 1990s. Alternative rock consists of various subgenres that have emerged from the independent music scene since the 1980s, such as grunge, Britpop, gothic rock, and indie pop. These genres are unified by their collective debt to the style and/or ethos of punk rock, which laid the groundwork for alternative music in the 1970s.[1] At times alternative rock has been used as a catch-all phrase for rock music from underground artists in the 1980s, and all music descended from punk rock (including punk itself, New Wave, and post-punk).
While a few artists like R.E.M. and The Cure achieved commercial success and mainstream critical recognition, many alternative rock artists during the 1980s were cult acts that recorded on independent labels and received their exposure through college radio airplay and word-of-mouth. With the breakthrough of Nirvana and the popularity of the grunge and Britpop movements in the 1990s, alternative rock entered the musical mainstream and many alternative bands became commercially successful.

Ryuuko
02-27-2010, 05:04 PM
There are so many subgenres of alternative music...

My favorite alternative band would probably be Smashing Pumpkins, if we're talking 90's stuff. But their more recent stuff is good too.

Toma RNK
02-27-2010, 05:06 PM
I would like to thank you for reading Srhyses post and working towards implementing this as opposed to PMing me about how unfair it was he locked the thread and how rude he was.

As to the topic, I loved alternative back in the 90's however now that I have the internet and have a worldwide collection my tastes have changed.

Alternative is still one of the better us styles.

Space Cowboy Sasori
There are so many subgenres of alternative music...

My favorite alternative band would probably be Smashing Pumpkins, if we're talking 90's stuff. But their more recent stuff is good too.

90's is when it really escalated. I enjoyed it in the 90's more than now, my favorite at this point would be Phoenix. Kinda sound like a 90's band a little if you listen close enough.

Toma: I thought it was fair, I mean showing how it's important should be shown before implementing it into the forum. Plus, I really wanna music subsection since it's pretty much all I do when I'm online and I take a couple audio classes in school.

KittyWolf
Alternative is awesome! My favorite Alternative bands are
Paramore
Snow Patrol
Evanescence(even though some is regular rock according to Itunes)
Secondhand Serenade
and then there are some Coldplay, Fall out Boy and MY chemical romance (I know some of these bands are more rock but I'm going by what my Itunes thing says)

Ockinga
02-27-2010, 05:07 PM
I would like to thank you for reading Srhyses post and working towards implementing this as opposed to PMing me about how unfair it was he locked the thread and how rude he was.

As to the topic, I loved alternative back in the 90's however now that I have the internet and have a worldwide collection my tastes have changed.

Alternative is still one of the better us styles.
Im sorry toma. I honestly didnt understand what he was saying

Toma RNK
02-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Im sorry toma. I honestly didnt understand what he was saying

You were one of 15 people, don't take the fault on yourself. Also I ask that both this post and the one I am quoting not be counted against this thread in light of recent PM's. And I feel I have earned that much leeway :p

Space Cowboy Sasori
02-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Paramore
Snow Patrol
Secondhand Serenade
and then there are some Coldplay, Fall out Boy and MY chemical romance (I know some of these bands are more rock but I'm going by what my Itunes thing says)

I enjoy a little bit of Paramore, their sound is great. Their latest album and their second album were my favorite. Snow Patrol is also really good too, Evansecence isn't my favorite but is alright. The rest, I don't really listen too so I can't give my true opinion on it.

Toma RNK
02-27-2010, 05:15 PM
I first learned of Evanessance through AMV's (specifically this one (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=2459933).)

While I don't like a lot of their work, I have always liked this song.

Also would Nightwish be considered alternative? Cause I like almost everything they have done.

Space Cowboy Sasori
02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
To be honest, I've never heard of Nightwish?

Link?

Ockinga
02-27-2010, 05:16 PM
I was just at my sisters music recitle and she decided to sing My Immortal for her next one

Ryuuko
02-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Also would Nightwish be considered alternative? Cause I like almost everything they have done.

I've heard them. They're from Europe, (I'm thinking Finland? Lol, probably wrong) and they're pretty good.

Edit: Oh crap, I was right. XD

Ockinga
02-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Paramore
Snow Patrol
Secondhand Serenade
How about favorite non American bands the Killers or Keane

Ryuuko
02-27-2010, 05:19 PM

The Killers are from Las Vegas.

Toma RNK
02-27-2010, 05:20 PM
To be honest, I've never heard of Nightwish?

Link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxfzGE6htfk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UztEfwHt14

one of their better known but not my fave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO4LyKd-Hws&feature=related

And I loved the opening to this one though not the whole song. Posted for versatility.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxom0sbpni4

Vex
02-27-2010, 05:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxfzGE6htfk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UztEfwHt14

one of their better known but not my fave
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO4LyKd-Hws&feature=relatedI like Nightwish, Nemo is my favorite along with Phantom of the Opera.

Although Tarja was best, not this new girl. I heard Tarja wanted to name the band after herself or something so they dropper her? Aw but she was good.

Toma RNK
02-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I like Nightwish, Nemo is my favorite along with Phantom of the Opera.

Although Tarja was best, not this new girl. I heard Tarja wanted to name the band after herself or something so they dropper her? Aw but she was good.

Tarja was great and made the band, but was far too big for her boots.

Space Cowboy Sasori
02-27-2010, 05:25 PM
So far, I've listened (watched since Gundam is Kickass) they sound really good thus far. They have this really Epic sounds, I can explain it. I guess kinda like Opera Rock in a way, either way the first one is great and I'll keep listening to the other two.

Toma RNK
02-27-2010, 05:27 PM
So far, I've listened (watched since Gundam is Kickass) they sound really good thus far. They have this really Epic sounds, I can explain it. I guess kinda like Opera Rock in a way, either way the first one is great and I'll keep listening to the other two.

Nightwish is one of the few BAND'S I follow, along with oddly enough Aqua and Aerosmith......

I have trouble putting nightwish in a category though.

SRhyse
02-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Nightwish is one of the few BAND'S I follow, along with oddly enough Aqua and Aerosmith......

Nightwish is identified as Finnish Rock 90% of the time.

I like Poets of the Fall quite a bit. They did the ending theme to Max Payne 2.

[Shikamaru]
02-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Alternative is, and has been the greatest music of my life.

I was born in the 90's, and although I respect classic rock [1960-1980], my heart lies within Modern and Alternative Rock. [1990-2010].

I've listened to so many bands I couldn't ever say who is my favorite, because honestly there is so much good music out there, and half the time I cannot remember the bands I've listened to.

I sometimes find it hard to find new good Alternative music, because the best has been in the 90's.

If anyone has any good bands that aren't really known, feel free to post it here. I'm dying for new music.

Toma RNK
02-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Nightwish is identified as Finnish Rock 90% of the time.

I like Poets of the Fall quite a bit. They did the ending theme to Max Payne 2.

Yeah but they don't follow a lot of the rock stereotypes. But yeah that probably is the most accurate.

Space Cowboy Sasori
02-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Listened to the second one and Finnish Rock sounds right, but I still like the Genre of Opera Rock much better. I still can't explain it but there is just this epic tone coming from them, like a "Final Countdown" kinda tone.

KittyWolf
02-27-2010, 05:40 PM

Never heard of them :p
Though I dunno if they are considered Alternative but I love Within Temptation. They have beautiful music. I think they might be rock even though in my opinion it sounds alternative. They are from like Holland or maybe Norway. I can't remember if they were preforming in Norway and live in Holland or if they are from Norway and were preforming in Holland. Fail.

SRhyse
02-27-2010, 05:40 PM
That tends to be because they're all inspired by the types of scores used in films and plays. It's a very different kind of rhythm and build up that people get used to loving in their favorite movie climaxes and videogame scenes, then seek out in music.

Lyrics for Finnish/Operatic Rock almost universally suck.

SakuraKaulitz221
02-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Alternative is my favorite Genre.

My favorite Alternative band would have to be Paramore. I also love Imogen Heap, but her music is more of a mix of Alternative/Rock/Pop/Electronica. Other bands I like are Smashing Pumpkins, The Killers, Evanesence, MCR, and Green Day (If those count..)

Space Cowboy Sasori
02-27-2010, 05:45 PM
That tends to be because they're all inspired by the types of scores used in films and plays. It's a very different kind of rhythm and build up that people get used to loving in their favorite movie climaxes and videogame scenes, then seek out in music.

Lyrics for Finnish/Operatic Rock almost universally suck.

That's what I'm thinking of, I could see Nightwish being used for an epic moment in a game like God of War, or Dante's Inferno.

Lyrics may be bad on occasion but that tone is what the listener is really looking for in my opinion.

KittyWolf
02-27-2010, 05:48 PM
According to Itunes Within Temptation is a mix of Metal and Goth though I dunno I'll look on the internet cause I can't believe they are considered Metal. They just don't have that sound. :/

EDIt: The Lead Singer Sharon den Adel said they are Symphonic Rock. ;P

SRhyse
02-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Lyrics may be bad on occasion but that tone is what the listener is really looking for in my opinion.
Which is why they shouldn't even have lyrics :lol:.

KittyWolf
02-27-2010, 05:58 PM
I personally was never a fan of Nightwish. Something about her voice didn't appeal to me. I tried to get into it and just couldn't.

Ockinga
02-27-2010, 06:05 PM
The Killers are from Las Vegas.
The Killers are british. 110% sure.

Space Cowboy Sasori
06-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Which is why they shouldn't even have lyrics :lol:.

Instrumentals in the introduction of songs are amazing, on of my Favorite is Wake Up by Arcane Fire. Yea, I'm counting the 'Oh'ing too.

9zdNdjF-htY

Also bump because I really want music to get it's own section. =]

Space Cowboy Sasori
06-15-2010, 05:23 PM
No one, really?

This makes me sad.

Space Cowboy Sasori
08-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Anyone else have any good music?

Ryuuko
08-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, whatcha lookin' for, Pat?

Space Cowboy Sasori
08-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Anything, honestly.

New albums and such.

Ryuuko
08-01-2010, 05:23 PM
New albums? Alternative?

Hmmmm.

Gimme a few minutes.

Sephiroth
08-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Papa Roach Pat.

Space Cowboy Sasori
08-01-2010, 05:31 PM
They have a new album?

Sephiroth
08-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Its comeing out soon. Kick in the teeth is a new music video off the new album

Ryuuko
08-01-2010, 05:38 PM
I'd suggest maybe:

We Were Promised Jetpacks
Whigs
or
Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band

...Craziest name for a band I've ever heard, but they're pretty gewd.
If we're talking alternative.

Space Cowboy Sasori
08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I will look into those, any Ska recommendations?

Ryuuko
08-01-2010, 05:45 PM
You probably know all the ska bands I know. xD

Shikamaru Nara
08-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Anybody here listen to Linkin Park?

Space Cowboy Sasori
08-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Fair enough. =3

I think everybody has.

tanduhman
08-01-2010, 05:55 PM
linkn park? hellz yah i do!

Space Cowboy Sasori
08-02-2010, 02:08 PM
I'd suggest maybe:

We Were Promised Jetpacks
Whigs
or
Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band

...Craziest name for a band I've ever heard, but they're pretty gewd.
If we're talking alternative.

Looked them up, pretty good I must say.

Ryuuko
08-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Looked them up, pretty good I must say.

I'm glad you think so, brah.

Space Cowboy Sasori
08-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Need more recommendations, and any other Ska fans out there?

Space Cowboy Sasori
08-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Live concert by one of my favorite bands is streaming right now if anyone is interested on peeking in.

http://www.youtube.com/arcadefirevevo?feature=ticker

Yori
08-07-2010, 07:16 PM
The Killers

Space Cowboy Sasori
08-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Gosh, I remember them from awhile ago. They were very good, had some good songs but not much into their albums.

Space Cowboy Sasori
08-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Paper tongues are very good.

Space Cowboy Sasori
12-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Kelseyyyy

I need more recommendations.

Chidori of Death
12-20-2010, 05:57 PM

Nightwish Nemo!<3
Or Amarath.....
Evanescense Counts as Gothic rock, one of the Sub Genres of Alt Rock, no?