PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon D/P/Pt How to Chain for Shiny Pokemon using the PokeRadar

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 07:55 PM
I've noticed that a lot of people here like myself, are also big Pokemon fans, and after much debate, and noticing that there's no other topic covering it, I decided to make a nice little guide that explains a method on getting Shiny Pokemon in Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, this method is called "chaining."

Well, first of all, for those of you who are not necessarily familiar with the term, a "Shiny Pokemon" is a Pokemon that is of a different color than normal, and when it appears in battle, a circle of stars appears around it.

Why are they so special? Because they are EXTREMELY rare, and normally, the chance of encountering one randomly in the wild is a 1/8192 chance...so yeah...it's pretty slim...

However, thanks to a new special Key Item in D/P/Pt called the PokeRadar, and this "chaining" method, the chances of finding one are GREATLY increased.

Getting Started, the Things You'll Need:

1. The PokeRadar - Don't have it yet? To get it you have to beat the main storyline, and then at least SEE all the Pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex, then go to Professor Rowan who'll upgrade you to the National Dex, and Professor Oak will appear and then hand you the PokeRadar.

2. Max Repels, A LOT of them, these help keep you from getting into random wild battles, which would break your chain.

Hint: Need money? Go south from Hearthome, until you see an elderly couple facing each other, using the Vs. Seeker, repeatedly keep battling them using a Pokemon holding an Amulet Coin to earn boatloads of cash after each fight. The highest their Pokemon's levels go is up to Lv. 60, and by that time, you should be earning about 24,000 Poke Dollars per battle with the Amulet Coin.

3. A Pokemon with a lot of PP, or several ones to help you fight the Pokemon you're chaining.

4. PokeBalls, to catch the shiny with of course.

5. Poketch App #20, this shows your top chains, and how far your current chain is so you can keep track of how many Pokemon you've faced in your chain. Note: you get this when you visit Pal Park for the first time and talk to Professor Oak.

Starting the Chain:

Ok, so you've got everything you need to start chaining with the PokeRadar, so what you need to do is go to the area where your desired shiny is that has a large area of grass that almost covers the entire screen.

Now, this next bit is VERY important, and you have to imagine that the entire time, this gridline surrounds your character:

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 0 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

"0" marks where your character is standing in the grass, all the other numbers mark all the possible spots a shaking patch of grass can appear.

Notice that the numbers 1-4 form a box that circles around you, these numbers represent how many steps away the patch of grass is from you.

Remember this: A MAXIMUM of 4 patches of grass will shake every time you use the Radar, and each time, 1 patch will shake in the "1" area, 1 in the "2" area, 1 in the "3" area, and 1 in the "4" area.

Ok, now to actually start your chain, get in the area of grass, use a Max Repel, and then use the PokeRadar. Tip: be sure to register the PokeRadar to the "Y" button, it makes this process a lot easier and faster.

Go ahead and go for ANY patch of grass that moved to begin, and granted, for more rare Pokemon, you might have to reset the Radar a few times till you find the one you want, just walk/run 50 steps and hit the "Y" button to reset the Radar.

The Rules of Chaining:

After you finally encounter the species you want a shiny of, go ahead and faint/capture it, and immediately afterwards, you'll see more patches of grass move, this is where the actual "chaining" process begins, in which you'll now be trying to encounter the same species several times in a row, and be sure to follow these rules to hopefully keep the chain going:

1. Always go for the patch of grass that is the FARTHEST away from you, and therefore, is in the "4" area in the diagram above. These patches have the greatest chance of holding the same Pokemon you're chaining, to help increase the chain.

2. Whatever way the patch of grass shook that you went into to start the chain, all subsequent patches that you go into MUST shake the same way. Going into a different kind has a HUGE chance of breaking the chain. The grass can be either Common grass, that just shakes, or Rare grass, that seems to "glow" a bit and rustles wildy. Note: Pokemon that are more rare in the area have a greater chance of appearing in Rare grass.

3. You MUST either make the Pokemon in your chain faint, or be captured, DO NOT run away, this will automatically break your chain.

4. DO NOT use your Bike! This also automatically breaks your chain.

5. Remember to always have a Max Repel on to ward off Pokemon and to avoid a random battle, getting into a random battle breaks the chain.

6. When using the Radar, NEVER walk into the patch of grass directly behind your character's head UNLESS you clearly saw 4 patches shake elsewhere. Why? Because it's hard to see, and if it did shake, there's a good chance you won't see it and accidentally walk into it.

7. NEVER reset the Radar near the edge of the grassy area or go into a patch that shook on the edge, because once you go into a patch the Radar already sets where the next patches of grass will shake, and if no patches appear in the grassy area, the chain breaks...

8. Make sure that at all times, you can at least see one patch of grass that shook on your screen, going outside this range will break the chain.

9. BE PICKY about the patches you go into, because sometimes a chain can break for seemingly no reason whatsoever (Which happens to me ALL the time... XP) Also, avoid patches of grass that are close to each other, these have a greater chance of breaking the chain, and if the "4" grass patch is isolated and far away from the others, don't go into it, these patches also have a high chance of breaking your chain. REMEMBER: When in doubt, RESET THE RADAR!

10. At some point, stop chaining and going into patches once the chain is high enough and just start running around and resetting the Radar until the sought after "Shiny Patch" appears. This patch glitters with 4 stars and DOES NOT move, and is guaranteed to hold the Shiny version of the Pokemon you were chaining. The magic number that you want to aim for with your chain is 40, at this point, the chances of a shiny patch appearing are maximized. At 40, if one patch shakes, the chance it will be a shiny patch is 1/200, and if you're making sure that all 4 patches are appearing each reset, this chance is simplified to 1/50! MUCH easier than that ugly 1/8192! Remember though, it's all based on luck, so you never know how long it will take until one finally appears.

11. Remember that chaining is a long and often frustrating process that requires PATIENCE, and a lot of practice, and in the beginning, don't be surprised if your chain breaks often, (Even I still mess up and break the chain A LOT!) but please, if you're determined to get a shiny, KEEP TRYING and never give up, and you'll eventually be rewarded!

12. Last but not least, if you need to take a break, by all means, TAKE ONE! It's best to put your DS in Sleep Mode in the middle of a battle so you can easily start up again.

Whew...that was A LOT of typing! XP But please, I know that remembering all this can seem overwhelming at first, but after a while, all of this will become 2nd nature to you. Oh, and once you do find that shiny patch, go into it, and catch the shiny, if the chain is still going, go ahead to try and see if you can get more!

I really hope this guide will be helpful to all those other Pokemon fans out there here on the Naruto Discussion Forum! ^.^

I'm not really expecting this thread to get a heck of a lot of views, but, we'll see I guess.

And one more thing, you can find a lot of videos and tutorials related to this on YouTube as well if you prefer that instead of reading all of this! XP

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:01 PM
dang, ill do that when i can stay awake and read all taht.

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 08:05 PM
dang, ill do that when i can stay awake and read all taht.

LOL, yeah, it is a bit long...but unfortunately the whole process is hard to explain, and needs to be broken down into parts in order to understand. I have helped other people in the past using a similar and not as detailed answer though, so, hopefully this helps...

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:05 PM
is it just the pokemon in that area? and btw do you have wi fi?

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 08:11 PM
is it just the pokemon in that area? and btw do you have wi fi?

Yes, you can do this just about anywhere where there is a large amount of grass, and you can chain any Pokemon you can find in the tall grass.

Oh, and yes, I do have Wi-Fi. ^.^

Zain Kabuta
09-24-2009, 08:15 PM
what about if you want a shiny legendary that would peek some intrest

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:16 PM
well me and apa, run a tournament, would you liek to join the next one?

Zain Kabuta
09-24-2009, 08:17 PM
i wouldent mind but it depends when

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:19 PM
probably a while, a month maybe.

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 08:20 PM

You can only get Shiny Legendaries using the old method, Soft Resetting, saving in front of one, and then going into a battle hoping it's shiny, but the chance is only 1/8192, and it could possibly take thousands of SR's till you get the shiny...

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 08:21 PM
well me and apa, run a tournament, would you liek to join the next one?

I'd be happy to join the next tournament! ^.^ My old Wi-Fi team hasn't had any fresh air lately. XP

7th Ninja
09-24-2009, 08:23 PM
My friend got a shiny giratina. He just saved in front of it and kept reseting untill he got a shiny. He was really lucky though, and got it in about twenty tries.

It looks cool; instead of being red, yellow, and black it was blue, yellow, and black.

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:23 PM
you can alos buy an action replay, xD

Zain Kabuta
09-24-2009, 08:25 PM
You can only get Shiny Legendaries using the old method, Soft Resetting, saving in front of one, and then going into a battle hoping it's shiny, but the chance is only 1/8192, and it could possibly take thousands of SR's till you get the shiny...

oh i see i see .... by the way i reset the game cuz my friend used cheats on it so i have to re start thank god i saved my favs before i did and got them back.. i am tryin to fight the 5th gym leader but cant figure out how to get to

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 08:26 PM
you can alos buy an action replay, xD

Yeah...you could do that too...but I prefer my shinies to be legit. ^.^ ;)

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:29 PM
well apa, seems to ahve died stalking this thread.

Zain Kabuta
09-24-2009, 08:30 PM
but still can u guys tell me... how to get the gym leader to battle me...

Cupcake
09-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Yeah...you could do that too...but I prefer my shinies to be legit. ^.^ ;)
Why use the effort and time?

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:36 PM
oooo, she posted.

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 08:36 PM
but still can u guys tell me... how to get the gym leader to battle me...

The 5th Gym Leader? Which one do you have? In D/P the 5th leader is Fantina in Hearthome City, I believe you have solve simple math problems to reach her. In Platinum though, the 5th leader is Crasher Wake, and you have to navigate the maze of changing water levels in the gym to reach him...that's about all I can tell you...

Cupcake
09-24-2009, 08:37 PM
oooo, she posted.
Yes because I have ONLY ever posted 700 times.

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:39 PM
its an amazing experience every time.

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Why use the effort and time?

Cause that's just the way I am! ;)

Cupcake
09-24-2009, 08:44 PM
its an amazing experience every time.
XD Yes. It gives me immense pleasure.
Cause that's just the way I am! ;)
-pats head- I like you already.

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:45 PM
im so jealous.

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 08:46 PM
XD Yes. It gives me immense pleasure.

LOL

-pats head- I like you already.

Thanks! ^.^

Cupcake
09-24-2009, 08:47 PM
im so jealous.
You should be.

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:48 PM
i found my ds!

Cupcake
09-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks! ^.^
You're a girl? Aw hellz no nevermind then. You're gonna try to take my spot as the best female pokemon lover on here aren't you? >C

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:51 PM
lmao.

Cupcake
09-24-2009, 08:52 PM
i found my ds!
yaaaay You can battle again.

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 08:53 PM
You're a girl? Aw hellz no nevermind then. You're gonna try to take my spot as the best female pokemon lover on here aren't you? >C

Yes, I'm a girl. And no, I would never try to take your spot, Apa, we're all Pokemon fans here right? Then there's no reason for us to get into any kind of conflict with each other.

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:55 PM
now i like you, *ruffles hair* xD

Cupcake
09-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Yes, I'm a girl. And no, I would never try to take your spot, Apa, we're all Pokemon fans here right? Then there's no reason for us to get into any kind of conflict with each other.
-intense stare- She's too nice. It's suspicious.

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 08:57 PM
now i like you, *ruffles hair* xD

^.^ I feel the love! XP

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 08:59 PM
jealous apa? Xd

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 09:00 PM
-intense stare- She's too nice. It's suspicious.

No, I'm just a nice person in general, honest. I don't like getting into conflicts with other people, especially people I've just met...

Cupcake
09-24-2009, 09:04 PM
jealous apa? Xd
Yes. So much. I've wanted you for so long. It tears a huge gaping hole in my chest whenever I see you giving other girls your affection. Why won't you acknowledge my feelings?
No, I'm just a nice person in general, honest. I don't like getting into conflicts with other people, especially people I've just met...
XDD Dude. I'm just kidding. Don't get defensive. Sarcasm is this sites official language. Learn it, speak it, embrace it.

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 09:05 PM
apa speaks the thruth,.

NarutoRoxorz93
09-24-2009, 09:12 PM
XDD Dude. I'm just kidding. Don't get defensive. Sarcasm is this sites official language. Learn it, speak it, embrace it.[/QUOTE]

*Slaps forehead* I'm sorry, it's just a habit I have, getting defensive...but anyway...it's nice to meet you Apa!

Unfortunately it's late over here where I live and I'm a bit tired...and I won't be back on till after school...*rolls eyes* So, bye for now! ^.^ ;)

Cupcake
09-24-2009, 09:19 PM
apa speaks the thruth,.
Don't I always?

ShariKage
09-24-2009, 09:46 PM
nope.

Kakashi Hatake_Yamato
09-24-2009, 10:44 PM
i love pokemon!!!
i gotta try that.............gonna take me a while.........

NARUTARD93
09-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Roxsaur that was amazing and lenghty as usual. I know there's an even simpler way to do this and you just won't tell me. XD I'll hound that secert out of ya one of these days, mark my words. Mwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha*gasp* hahahahaha.......XD

NarutoRoxorz93
09-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Roxsaur that was amazing and lenghty as usual. I know there's an even simpler way to do this and you just won't tell me. XD I'll hound that secert out of ya one of these days, mark my words. Mwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha*gasp* hahahahaha.......XD

Ok....how about you come over one of these days, or I go over to your house and I show ya how to do it personally, a lot of people learn much better through hands on stuff, so, it might help.

But, this was just about as detailed as I could get it...the main thing you gotta remember is that grid thing with the numbers, and making sure you're always going into patches that shake the same as the first one you went into to start the chain, and that it is the FARTHEST one away from you in that "4" area.

NARUTARD93
09-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Ok....how about you come over one of these days, or I go over to your house and I show ya how to do it personally, a lot of people learn much better through hands on stuff, so, it might help.

But, this was just about as detailed as I could get it...the main thing you gotta remember is that grid thing with the numbers, and making sure you're always going into patches that shake the same as the first one you went into to start the chain, and that it is the FARTHEST one away from you in that "4" area.
That or you could just tell me the much more easier and simpler way. I'm lazy, I don't like to do more work than I have too. XD

NarutoRoxorz93
09-27-2009, 04:21 PM
That or you could just tell me the much more easier and simpler way. I'm lazy, I don't like to do more work than I have too. XD

For chaining, there is no simpler method, it's in fact the easiest way to get shinies legitimately, which is how I prefer to get MY shinies. ;)

Any other LEGIT methods revolve around lower chances of one ever appearing, in fact, my one friend saved in front of Kyogre on Sapphire, and then soft resetted her game over 25,000 times until the shiny appeared.

Other than that, you can be cheap and use a cheating device, but I know many people who have attempted it and have it backfire on them, so that's why I REALLY don't recommend doing that.

ECW Original
09-27-2009, 04:34 PM
For chaining, there is no simpler method, it's in fact the easiest way to get shinies legitimately, which is how I prefer to get MY shinies. ;)

Any other LEGIT methods revolve around lower chances of one ever appearing, in fact, my one friend saved in front of Kyogre on Sapphire, and then soft resetted her game over 25,000 times until the shiny appeared.

Other than that, you can be cheap and use a cheating device, but I know many people who have attempted it and have it backfire on them, so that's why I REALLY don't recommend doing that.
That happened to me a few years ago when I tried to hack a Deoxys.That was the only time I've ever used an AR.

NARUTARD93
09-27-2009, 05:35 PM

Liar, there's an easier method and you're keeping it to yourself. XD If you won't tell me then I guess I'm going out and getting me an AR system. XD

ECW Original
09-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Liar, there's an easier method and you're keeping it to yourself. XD If you won't tell me then I guess I'm going out and getting me an AR system. XD
And you'll regret it.

NARUTARD93
09-27-2009, 05:40 PM
And you'll regret it.
Yes, yes, I know all about the damage those little things cause. But i'm lazy and like danger, so I'll run the risk. XD

ECW Original
09-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Yes, yes, I know all about the damage those little things cause. But i'm lazy and like danger, so I'll run the risk. XD
Do you have any worth while Pokemon?

NarutoRoxorz93
09-27-2009, 05:43 PM

You've always enjoyed danger haven't you Nartard? XD But, no, I'm being sincere, there is no easier method unless you use a cheating device...

NARUTARD93
09-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Do you have any worth while Pokemon?
Nope! XD I beat the Elite 4 with thet crappiest team I could come up with. I did mirgate a few good ones up afterwards, but I can always trade them over to a different came before I use an AR.

NARUTARD93
09-27-2009, 05:46 PM
You've always enjoyed danger haven't you Nartard? XD But, no, I'm being sincere, there is no easier method unless you use a cheating device...
See, that nice exterior of your's is all just to confuse people. You're secretly an evil genius who likes to make people do some real work. I know there's a simpler method out there and I'll find. And yes, I do like danger and doing stupid stuff. Just like this morning. I was jumping up and down on my bunk bed, missed the bed and instead of hitting the top bunk i hit the floor, hard. XD

ECW Original
09-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Nope! XD I beat the Elite 4 with thet crappiest team I could come up with. I did mirgate a few good ones up afterwards, but I can always trade them over to a different came before I use an AR.
In that case,do what you want.I can't stop you.Even though I'd more than likely let you do it anyway so I could laugh at you afterwards.

NarutoRoxorz93
09-27-2009, 05:47 PM

Hmm, what about that Darkrai and Shaymin I got you at the Toys R' Us event? You can't get those anywhere else, and also don't forget that Shiny Pachirisu I got for you.

NARUTARD93
09-27-2009, 05:48 PM
In that case,do what you want.I can't stop you.Even though I'd more than likely let you do it anyway so I could laugh at you afterwards.
I'll most likely be laughing at myself.

Hmm, what about that Darkrai and Shaymin I got you at the Toys R' Us event? You can't get those anywhere else, and also don't forget that Shiny Pachirisu I got for you.
I just said I'd trade them to a different game before I did it.

NarutoRoxorz93
09-27-2009, 05:49 PM
See, that nice exterior of your's is all just to confuse people. You're secretly an evil genius who likes to make people do some real work. I know there's a simpler method out there and I'll find. And yes, I do like danger and doing stupid stuff. Just like this morning. I was jumping up and down on my bunk bed, missed the bed and instead of hitting the top bunk i hit the floor, hard. XD

Mega LOL, but I'm NOT evil! And I hope you didn't break a bone or anything...:(

NARUTARD93
09-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Mega LOL, but I'm NOT evil! And I hope you didn't break a bone or anything...:(
No, I managed to land on my feet somehow. Although my knees hurt like crazy for a little bit afterwards. It doesn't help that I screwed them up playing basketball when I was younger......I'm surprised I didn't break anything either. But oh well. XD