PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on anime and manga

Kuroda Taishi
04-28-2009, 06:23 PM
For those of you who are confused, or do not know; Anime is the cartoon and Manga is the comic

*ichigorukiafan*
04-29-2009, 01:02 PM
For those of you who are confused, or do not know; Anime is the cartoon and Manga is the comic

i knew that lol. but i guess its good that ur explaining it all 2 the newbies ;)

Kuroda Taishi
04-29-2009, 03:01 PM

i knew that lol. but i guess its good that ur explaining it all 2 the newbies ;)

Yes, many people don't know the difference

mangagirl
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM
agreed

Vivi
08-04-2009, 11:55 AM

*Drags mom over*
"See!!! That's the difference"

Everytime I watch Naruto or any other Anime she says:
"Oh your watching Manga's again?"
Even more awkward she see's Anime and Manga characters as puppets.:???::???:

Blakexd9
08-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks! I never knew that! :lol:

JK JK JK JK JK!

Fan of Minato
08-04-2009, 12:28 PM

I know that, but I am certain that a lot of new people who read the manga, don't.

Blakexd9
08-04-2009, 02:36 PM
lol....

Nine-TailedSage_Naruto
08-04-2009, 03:00 PM
the biggest thing that ppl dnt get is the diff between anime and cartoons

JPSM
08-04-2009, 05:10 PM
the biggest thing that ppl dnt get is the diff between anime and cartoons

completely agreed...and that cartoons and anime aren't always for the same age groups...neither have the same density/complexity of plots...

Shkin
08-04-2009, 07:35 PM
*Drags mom over*
"See!!! That's the difference"

Everytime I watch Naruto or any other Anime she says:
"Oh your watching Manga's again?"
Even more awkward she see's Anime and Manga characters as puppets.:???::???:
lol!
completely agreed...and that cartoons and anime aren't always for the same age groups...neither have the same density/complexity of plots...

a lot of people didn't really know this...

Kuroda Taishi
08-04-2009, 07:39 PM

anime can be for almost all age groups, just like cartoons can. The difference is the style in which they are drawn.

nano
08-04-2009, 07:51 PM

Yesyesyes to that! >__<

anime can be for almost all age groups, just like cartoons can. The difference is the style in which they are drawn.

Hmm, well I'd place anime as a sub-group under cartoons, with the definition of cartoons being "drawn animation" or something along those lines. Anime is simply a type of cartoon that is made in Japan. But yes, cartoons can be targeted at any age group.
I guess the stereotype is caused by American cartoons, where you find the target demographic is usually children. Since this is what we (as in, other forum users from NA) grew up with, we tend to carry this sterotype over to cartoons in other societies/cultures/countries. =/ its kinda sad.

Haha, my friends and family always call my manga "anime books". It' gets kind of annoying especially considering I hardly even watch any anime.

Shkin
08-04-2009, 07:53 PM
probably. but i think its more on the density and complexity of the plots...why do you think most if not all animes are on restricted/adult categories...

Kuroda Taishi
08-04-2009, 07:55 PM
probably. but i think its more on the density and complexity of the plots...why do you think most if not all animes are on restricted/adult categories...

Go to japan and you will find tons of anime for kids. It is not all aimed at teens or above.

But yes the plots are way more complex then a typical cartoon.

Shkin
08-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Go to japan and you will find tons of anime for kids. It is not all aimed at teens or above.

But yes the plots are way more complex then a typical cartoon.
maybe its a cartoon but they called it anime cause they are drawn like anime...but in its truest form (plot and all) its actually just a cartoon...
but hey i'm not going to make a debate on this...there's a lot that i still don't know...peace.

rainbowrazor
08-04-2009, 08:20 PM
i thought everyone knew that

Shkin
08-05-2009, 01:45 AM
i thought so too...=D

JPSM
08-05-2009, 08:07 AM

Not just that...for example, see the Anime Neon Genesis Evangelion....even for a grown up is dificult to understand the story...more even for a 6 year old....:lol:

JPSM
08-05-2009, 08:13 AM
lol!

a lot of people didn't really know this...

Yep...althought animes are in there large number for some age groups, like the younger one's, there are a large portion of animes like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Devil May Cry, and others in the same style of story line (aka lot of deads, treasons, and blood, and sexual content....:p) are rated for teenagers or adults even....(in my country Devil May Cry for example is rated +18) but old people doesn't seem to realize it...they fall in the idea that cartoons=children and anime=cartoons

Shkin
08-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Yep...althought animes are in there large number for some age groups, like the younger one's, there are a large portion of animes like Neon Genesis Evangelion, Devil May Cry, and others in the same style of story line (aka lot of deads, treasons, and blood, and sexual content....:p) are rated for teenagers or adults even....(in my country Devil May Cry for example is rated +18) but old people doesn't seem to realize it...they fall in the idea that cartoons=children and anime=cartoons
true...that's why i get a lot of raised eyebrows...just because i watch and read Naruto...and i go to forums! whew!

JPSM
08-05-2009, 11:01 AM
true...that's why i get a lot of raised eyebrows...just because i watch and read Naruto...and i go to forums! whew!

I can't say that I got a lot of raised eyebrows, cause in my country (Portugal by the way...:p)my generation grown seeing dragonball, neon genesis evagelion, kighnts of the zodiac, and other anines daily, so people between the 16 and the 22/24 really don't care about that and see anime, read mangas like there is nothing special about it, but the older people, like my parents see that in a way like "that's not for your age anymore"...:lol:..but I really don't care much about it....

nano
08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
I can't say that I got a lot of raised eyebrows, cause in my country (Portugal by the way...:p)my generation grown seeing dragonball, neon genesis evagelion, kighnts of the zodiac, and other anines daily, so people between the 16 and the 22/24 really don't care about that and see anime, read mangas like there is nothing special about it, but the older people, like my parents see that in a way like "that's not for your age anymore"...:lol:..but I really don't care much about it....

You're pretty lucky! Here in Canada, many of us grew up with several series (Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Hamtaro, etc) and yet I'm still considered weird for liking manga/anime at this age. I was able to get a few of my friends into it (or at least show them that it's not just for kids) but most still don't undertand. I wish they would, I hate being viewed as a freak! xD
My parents still act the same as yours, though. They think it's weird, but respect my hobby.. haha.

JPSM
08-05-2009, 02:00 PM
You're pretty lucky! Here in Canada, many of us grew up with several series (Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Hamtaro, etc) and yet I'm still considered weird for liking manga/anime at this age. I was able to get a few of my friends into it (or at least show them that it's not just for kids) but most still don't undertand. I wish they would, I hate being viewed as a freak! xD
My parents still act the same as yours, though. They think it's weird, but respect my hobby.. haha.

Yep where too with those series....but in Portugal, and in general Europe there is a diferent way probably of seeing this things about manga and animes....in the last years there is a growing interest in Japanese/Chinese/Korean culture, so the anime/manga was naturally a part of it, and my generation is seen like, the front of that cultural interest, as the must influenced generation by those cultures....

Amai Shikome
08-05-2009, 02:12 PM
This may be a group of folks I can relate to! Finally!

JPSM
08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
This may be a group of folks I can relate to! Finally!

that's always good to known...:lol:....

AkatsukiMember
08-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Newbie's you have learned something new today.

AkatsukiMember
08-05-2009, 03:25 PM

Wow I forgot all about Sailor Moon.