PDA

View Full Version : Multiverse: Dragon Ball spaceship speed

Ultimate combatant
01-19-2013, 02:05 PM
I noticed an interesting thing in Chapter 244, pages 12, 13 and 14.

Spaceship travels from Earth to Jupiter almost instantly.

From quick search, I found that distance between Earth and Jupiter when they are the closest to each other is 628,743,036 km. Since we are looking for minimal speed and they didn't land on Jupiter, we will decrease the distance to 600.000.000 km (in addition, it will make a result nicer).

600.000.000 km=6,0*10^8 km=6,0*10^11 m

Speed of light is around c=3,0*10^8 m/s

Now, we will assume the spaceship travelled in a straight line making it the shortest possible distance.

v=v0+a*t

We will assume that spaceship needed no time for acceleration and its final speed remained. So we will assume that spaceship was already at its greatest speed from beginning, which is not the case. Therefore, a=0.

So, v[max]=v=v0.

v=s/t

s=6,0*10^11 m

So, what about the time? Is it less than a second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, a minute, I will leave it up to you.

I will just show for a few different times.

If they travelled for 60 seconds:

v=6,0*10^11 m/60 s
v=1,0*10^10 m/s
v=33,3*c

There are three counter arguments I could think of.

The best one would be that the numbers I used are wrong.

Another one is that the formula I used are wrong or that I made a mistake when calculating.

And the third one is that there is no reason to use calculations in different verse, or that Dragon Ball is not supposed to make sense or that Dragon Ball is a different Universe and that we shouldn't use our informations about such things.

What do you think?!! :D

Maruko
01-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Okay, dude....I <3 you. LOL

konoha chimp
01-19-2013, 02:45 PM
You lost me at "600.000.000 km=6,0*10^8 km=6,0*10^11 m" :lol:

Ultimate combatant
01-20-2013, 07:59 AM

Okay, so 1000=10^3

k=1000=10^3

600.000.000=6*100.000.000

6,0*10^8 km=6,0*10^8*10^3 m=6,0*(10^8*10^3) m=6,0*10^11 m

Is it now more understandable?!! :D

BMC1994
01-20-2013, 09:50 AM

He simply wrote 600.000.000 km in a simplyfied way 600.000.000 = 6 x 100.000.000

100.000.000 = 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 x 10 = 10^8

1 km = 1000 m

1000 = 10 x 10 x 10 = 10^3

Then simply converted the amount km to m by multiplying with 10^3

Naruto Namikazi
01-30-2013, 11:24 PM
Couldnt resist making these

http://i.imgur.com/nBV1Egh.png

http://i.imgur.com/GjUfAoA.png

The Immortal Watch Dog
01-31-2013, 01:32 AM
when it comes to space a straight line isn't actually the fastest hence why everybodies dumping funds into technology that loophole abuses the law of relativity via folding space

edit- this calculation was done a decade ago by some of the greatest verses debaters on either side of the great argument..they came up with a figure I felt was low balling it but it gave Saiyan pods about 100 times the speed of light

I'd put it closer to a thousand

Naruto Namikazi
01-31-2013, 01:37 AM
Well a straight line isnt the fastest since Worm Holes exist... But man kind hasnt been able to utilize those yet... A straight line is still the fastest if you take away the possibilities of Warp Drive, which in theory is possible and should be possible not just in theory as well... But there is not a source of energy on earth that can power a craft enough to enter warp speed, not to mention neither do we have the Metal that can withstand that speed.

So until now, putting aside what exists and just looking at what the humans can do at the moment, i still say a straight line is the fastest way... But in a normal debate your point would be correct due to what i mentioned above.

The only case when a straight line isnt the fastest way is when a space ship meets up with debris in space... And that's pretty much it i think

Edit- Forgot this was about DB spaceships lol...

Ultimate combatant
01-31-2013, 02:08 AM
when it comes to space a straight line isn't actually the fastest hence why everybodies dumping funds into technology that loophole abuses the law of relativity via folding space

edit- this calculation was done a decade ago by some of the greatest verses debaters on either side of the great argument..they came up with a figure I felt was low balling it but it gave Saiyan pods about 100 times the speed of light

I'd put it closer to a thousand

Well, if we assume the spaceship travelled for 60 seconds, the absurd minimum would be 33,3 times the speed of light. If they traveled for a second, which is more likely, we get around 2000 times the speed of light!!! :D

Of course, this is all assuming we ignore relativity!!! :D

The Immortal Watch Dog
01-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Well, if we assume the spaceship travelled for 60 seconds, the absurd minimum would be 33,3 times the speed of light. If they traveled for a second, which is more likely, we get around 2000 times the speed of light!!! :D

we aren't given a time frame in the manga but considering how small the dbz universe is (it only has five galaxies and about four pocket dimensions) it's impossible for them to have crossed many galaxies in that year of travel..likely they only crossed a portion of the milky way..or most of it

the travel between earth and jupiter..was it given a time frame?

Of course, this is all assuming we ignore relativity!!! :D

their using an FTL method..my guess is it's safe to say they're ignoring relativity

also this is a universe that is smaller than our local galactic cluster*I think less than half the size) and it exists in a gigantic fish bowl

essentially..we really have no idea if the laws of physics are even the same..if FTL even means the same thing..

if the distance between planets are the same..etc etc

better to make calculations to the anime as it has an entirely difference much vaster universe that does match up to the size of ours if not a bit bigger

Well a straight line isnt the fastest since Worm Holes exist... But man kind hasnt been able to utilize those yet... A straight line is still the fastest if you take away the possibilities of Warp Drive, which in theory is possible and should be possible not just in theory as well... But there is not a source of energy on earth that can power a craft enough to enter warp speed, not to mention neither do we have the Metal that can withstand that speed.

So until now, putting aside what exists and just looking at what the humans can do at the moment, i still say a straight line is the fastest way... But in a normal debate your point would be correct due to what i mentioned above.

The only case when a straight line isnt the fastest way is when a space ship meets up with debris in space... And that's pretty much it i think

Edit- Forgot this was about DB spaceships lol...

from what I understand about modern takes on "warp drive" or Aculibre drive would be that your ship either gets yanked a long a string riding it like a roller coaster through space kind of like the way that show Andromeda portrayed slipstream- or you create a bubble of space around your ship that "hops" along space moving it for you..

so even then..not really a straight line..ones a loop-dee loop roller coast and the other has more in common with basketball

Saiyan pods..seem use some type hyperspace or some crap so their speed maybe very high or very low..