PDA

View Full Version : Former President Ronald Reagan--Good or Bad

mrsticky005
11-08-2011, 04:31 AM
Conservatives love him.
Liberals hate him.

I don't really have much of an opinion on him since I haven't read much
up on him and I was too young to remember anything about him.

Though from what I heard...

Conservatives love him a lot because of his role in ending the Cold War.

Liberals hate him because of his economics. They blame Reagan for the housing problems I think.

What do you think about former president Ronald Reagan?

Danielle
11-08-2011, 05:43 AM
From what I've heard, it is Reagan's 'trickle down' economics concept which was most offensive and the fact that he screwed up California as Governor. There are a list miles long of things blamed on Reagan: increase homeless population of mentally ill, homelessness in general, prop 13 in California, Iran-Contra, Union busting(everyone hates that--liberal's anywho), elimination of the Middle Class....large laundry list.

mrsticky005
11-08-2011, 09:30 AM
From what I've heard, it is Reagan's 'trickle down' economics concept which was most offensive and the fact that he screwed up California as Governor. There are a list miles long of things blamed on Reagan: increase homeless population of mentally ill, homelessness in general, prop 13 in California, Iran-Contra, Union busting(everyone hates that--liberal's anywho), elimination of the Middle Class....large laundry list.

So what are your thoughts? If any?

yay for reagan or nay for reagan?

Also do you agree with all the things he's been blamed for? Or disagree?

Also be sure to check out the Jimmy Carter version of this thread.

Wooster
11-15-2011, 03:31 AM
Actually, pretty much both liberals and conservatives acknowledge he is great president now.

Danielle
11-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Which liberals are theses?

Wooster
11-15-2011, 05:13 AM
The ones that write books.

Danielle
11-15-2011, 05:16 AM
Ah I see. SO not college morons, cuz those just stand outside...?

AgentShayd
11-15-2011, 09:04 PM
All presidents have their good and bad points. But from what we have had as of late.. I would say he was one of the better ones...

mrsticky005
11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Actually, pretty much both liberals and conservatives acknowledge he is great president now.

So then where does the Reagan hate come from?

Commies? :D

Ur Mom
11-22-2011, 04:31 AM
Conceptually they have since Clinton, because when he started his economic ideas, they started to lean back on Reagan's ideas which are sort of better. Unfortunately though, Bush took Reagan's ideas to the extreme, and that may have added to the hate again. Nonetheless, someone who has really analyzed him should understand he was decent

mrsticky005
11-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Conceptually they have since Clinton, because when he started his economic ideas, they started to lean back on Reagan's ideas which are sort of better. Unfortunately though, Bush took Reagan's ideas to the extreme, and that may have added to the hate again. Nonetheless, someone who has really analyzed him should understand he was decent

How did Bush take Reagan's ideas to the extreme?

Wooster
11-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Yeah, I agree with Sticky. Bush was a moderate...Your statement makes no sense. :lol:

Isoteen
11-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Debt. Debt. Debt. =)

He had balls and a brain though, unlike most current Republican candidates.

Danielle
11-22-2011, 09:33 PM
41 year, there is nothing new about the debt especially when our tax burden is lower than the rest of the developed world.

Wooster
11-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Debt that has been dwarfed by Obama. :lol:

Debt doesn't matter.... until it is the larger than GDP. O_o

Danielle
11-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Do you know our tax numbers versus our rgdp? >.> We spend more than we tax.

Wooster
11-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Yes, that is what causes deficets. :lol:

Our tax rates haven't changed.
Our spending has increased under Obama from 20% GDP to 25% GDP. Taxes revenue have gone down to the recession.
But the biggest problem are entitlements. The unfunded liability of Social Security is the size of the debt, Medicaid is larger and Medicare is astronomical. O_o

Danielle
11-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Medicaid and Medicare are not even considered as a problem because in the CPI its not recognized as something the average person pays for. (ignores the baby boomers collecting social security now, too)

Our tax burden is 32% and our Gov't expenditures to GDP is 35%. And yes, though things at the federal level has remained constant, state spending stayed inflated. Federal taxes are only about 17-20% >.>

TheTrueMasterofIllusions
11-22-2011, 09:45 PM
a bit off topic but did you know the only time we were ever debt free was when we payed off our debt to France after the American Revolution after that we were up and down...

Wooster
11-22-2011, 09:48 PM
There are IOUs, which come right out of the federal budget. They are everyone's problem.
Yes, which is why federal government spending should be brought down to 20% of GDP, it's historical average. And preverse scheme like Medicaid should be fixed so that they do not encourage states to spend more. Likewise, Welfare should be return to block grants as it was changed to during the Clinton years. Doing just that would have come up with the 1.2 trillion dollars the super committee is locked up over.

Danielle
11-22-2011, 09:50 PM
If only Bush era tax cuts were not extended, it is not sustainable at all. >.>

Wooster
11-22-2011, 09:53 PM
But what part of the Bush Tax cuts? The tax cuts to the higher incomes raised revenue.

You really want to raise taxes on the poor and middle class, remove child credits, and lower the alternative minimum tax rate? All those rich Democrats would howl not being able to write of their princely mortgages and expensive lefty state income taxes. :3

Danielle
11-22-2011, 09:55 PM
Do I look like I have an econ degree? XD

We don't even pay in our brackets! >.> Someone can make more than another but they still can pay a lower tax.

Wooster
11-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Indeed, the tax code should be changed to maybe two or three brackets with some minimum level so the very poor pay no taxes. After that there are no write offs. The mortgage deduction should be the first to go. Why punish people that rent? What is wrong with us? D=

Next the corporate tax rate should be slashed to levels similar to the rest of OECD. Then stop taxing income earned in foreign countries and allow only domestic taxes be used like the rest of the world. That would cause massive cash flow back to the US.
Finally, get rid of all the corporate tax break for "clean" energy and other crap that causes companies and people that buddy up to Obama to pay no taxes, i.e. GE and Warren Buffet.

Now this tax plan would be approved but Reagan, Milton Freidman, F.A. Hayek, and Arthur Laffer. Now there is some economic firepower. Man, I am all fire up now. :3

Danielle
11-22-2011, 10:05 PM
...Valid. Now let me counter with <3's to distract you from my lack of anything else worthy to contribute.

Wooster
11-22-2011, 10:10 PM
You cheat. D=
>.>
<3

Danielle
11-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Heehee =D Just be grateful it wasn't something more gas pedal-y.

Wooster
11-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Hodor :/

Danielle
11-22-2011, 10:14 PM
No Hodoring, it is bad for the economy. >.>

Wooster
11-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Now you sound just like Bran. >.>

Danielle
11-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Naaah XD I sound like a tired naive girl spamming a thread.

Wooster
11-22-2011, 10:26 PM
*sigh* I remember when a certain girl would come in here and scold me and Sticky for spamming these threads.

/nostalgicizes

Danielle
11-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Scolding for posts that don't count? o.o

Wooster
11-22-2011, 10:34 PM
In a playful manner?

Mostly just to say hi. :lol:

Danielle
11-22-2011, 10:37 PM
Oh I see =D

mrsticky005
11-29-2011, 03:23 AM
This thread has gotten a bit more interesting. :)

Kreegah!!!
11-29-2011, 03:48 AM
New Theory: Reagan was only acting as president for a TV experiment. After all, what President would land his jumbo jet at a racetrack? This was just his new role to jump-start his fading career. He performed so well that even the CIA forgot who the real President was (Chuck Finley?).