PDA

View Full Version : Rules for fanfiction?

Pvt Donut
09-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Are there any crazy copyright issues to do with writing a fanfiction?

Ishtar
09-17-2011, 06:45 AM
Just as long as there not characters or has anything to do with the Naruverse.

My fanfiction is based upon the Naruverse, but doesn't have characters from it.
Instead, mine's different. It's mostly based around weapons and many godly beings.

Ashen
09-17-2011, 06:52 AM
You can't make any direct references to anything specific within the verses that Viz owns. This applies to both the manga and the anime that Viz holds ownership of. In short, it's best to stay away from anything Viz owns altogether.

Pvt Donut
09-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Does this include the jutsu?

Ashen
09-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Does this include the jutsu?
When it comes to their names, yes. Though if there's a jutsu in the anime that you'd like to use in a fanfic, more often than not you'd be in the green just by changing the jutsu's name.

You could be witty and get around the copyright rules entirely by implying but not outright stating any connections to the Naruto verse. Gotta be careful though. For example, you "could" imply that your main character is Naruto's descendent, but you'd have to do so without directly mentioning the Leaf Village, Naruto himself or anyone/anything else specific to the Naruto story.

Pvt Donut
09-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Ah, I see now thanks for the help. I understand what you mean about implying it.
Also I see way to many Naruto's Son/Daughter/Descendant fanfics so its not like that :P

+Rep

satoru
10-25-2011, 08:54 AM
so if i g oaround d copyright issue is it possible for me to get it copyrighted for myself since the fanfiction would be my idea? orbetter yet how can i get in contact with viz media to publish an idea for a movie or game

Vocaloid
10-25-2011, 09:00 AM
I've had people tell me that you also can't have anything official in your fanficton either, even if it's not Viz. Like you can have a Pokemon fic, but you can't have a single official Pokemon in it, so you must make up your own. I though I saw a SSBB fic though.

Bacon
10-25-2011, 10:59 AM
I've had people tell me that you also can't have anything official in your fanficton either, even if it's not Viz. Like you can have a Pokemon fic, but you can't have a single official Pokemon in it, so you must make up your own. I though I saw a SSBB fic though.
That's false or half of the rp's would have been shutdown. :lol:

Vocaloid
10-26-2011, 05:27 PM
I was told for fanfics only.

Bacon
10-26-2011, 05:33 PM
I was told for fanfics only.
Taking the ceros(bleach), shadow clone jutsu(naruto), and hyperbeam(pokemon) for a fanfiction is just as bad as if it were used in an rp.

Why do you think the war system never used konoha or any of that jazz?b:)

Maikeru D. Shinigami
10-26-2011, 05:35 PM
The Pokemon manga is also kind of translated by VIZ.

Bacon
10-26-2011, 07:12 PM
But no one visits the rp section so it's kk.

Vocaloid
10-27-2011, 10:29 AM
The Pokemon manga is also kind of translated by VIZ.

Adventures isn't 'the' manga.

But wouldn't it just apply to the characters like Yellow or Pearl? They're the only ones unique to manga and the Pokemon are not. Because what if you're basing it on the games and not the manga or anime? Viz doesn't own the games.