PDA

View Full Version : Do checks and balances still exist in the U.S government and do they work?

mrsticky005
08-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Do checks and balances still exist in the U.S government and do they work? In brief the system of checks and balances was created so that the three branches of government: Legislative (makes Laws), Executive (enforces Laws) and Judicial (interprets laws) would not become too powerful. As the name implies each branch would check the other so that they are all
balanced. Are the three branches checked and balanced? Or has the system
failed or been abandoned? Or does it still work today? Is the Executive and Judicial branches keeping the legislative branch in check? Or is
Congress a bunch of aristocrats who arbitrarily decide what they will
allow the peasants (that would be the people or citizens) are allowed
to do or have? Is the Legislative and Judicial branch keeping the
Executive branch balanced? Is the police enforcing justice? Or
are they just uniform bullies with billy clubs and pepper spray?
Is the Executive and Legislative branches keeping tabs on
the Judicial branch? Do judges judge base off of what is Constitutional
or is it their own personal opinions that decide who rots in jail?

To borrow and rephrase a quote from The Patriot

"Have we traded one tyrant 3,000 miles for 3,000 tyrants one mile away?"

I like to know what you think.

(http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2559130#ixzz1VQJtLNuO)

Bacon
08-19-2011, 07:35 AM
The judicial branch can only go as far as they can stretch their definitions of a law and how willing they are to possibly upset members of their own party, aka club. However, I would never think their influence(aka able to challenge the other branches) has not diminished because one decision by them ultimately sets the standards for a generation. That's sort of what I remember being drilled into my head,but it's been years since I thought about them.

As for the legislative branch, many of their "bright ideas" were endorsed by the president who signed the bill, but they can be almost unstoppable. Should the congress be united, they could pass any bill and override the president's veto. Should the Supreme court be reluctant to do anything, they could seize control. But that would be giving too much credit to those jackasses. :lol:

As for the President, he can only be as powerful his country lets him or her be. Should any one of them actually try to pull a hitler, the other branches would have to be high 24/7.

tsuki
08-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Theyexist, but they don't work.

Kreegah!!!
08-19-2011, 05:37 PM
They were never meant to be equal, but there were checks put in place. The problem is the federal power is too centralized now. States used to hold far more independence. Now we're being united under one system, essentially. Seems people can't remember that a working government of this kind requires the citizens to work hard at keeping tabs on the government. Too late for change now.

mrsticky005
08-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Theyexist, but they don't work.

Splain